Sandpaper Material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandpaper Material?

Has anyone ever tried to create a rough sandpaper material. So a really coarse one with nice reflection highlights. Somehow my material isn't giving me the poper results?? Any tip or hint?

Cheers

Click image for larger version

Name:	sandpaper_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	881026

Ralf

Hard to tell from that image (without any environment to provide some context), but it doesn´t per se look "wrong" in my eyes. I would try to use it on a different object maybe something that resembles an actual folded sandpaper) and with variable light setup to properly test it.

Comment

Have you considered scattering geometry (grains of sand) instead of displacement? PFlow, forest pro, multiscatter could all do it.
      Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Thx for your answers, the idea of using geometry souds interesting Ill give it a try, cheers

Comment

You can scater it, then bake to displacement, then have a texture for it. You can even bake diffuse/reflection/etc/etc values as well to produce more different maps.
          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Use an hdri and light with that, I think you may find it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dariusz Makowski (Dadal) View Post
              You can scater it, then bake to displacement, then have a texture for it. You can even bake diffuse/reflection/etc/etc values as well to produce more different maps.
              How would you bake a scatter to displacement?
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Quickest way with a flat object is to use a orthogonal camera facing straight at it and render a z depth pass. The other way is to use a projection modifier on a second object (in this case a plane) to bake from, this is mostly used to bake high poly meshes down to low poly objects for games and stuff like that.

Comment

You should post an image of the type of sandpaper you are trying to create. What is the grit?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Stewart View Post
                    Quickest way with a flat object is to use a orthogonal camera facing straight at it and render a z depth pass. The other way is to use a projection modifier on a second object (in this case a plane) to bake from, this is mostly used to bake high poly meshes down to low poly objects for games and stuff like that.
                    Aah thank you I'm familiar with this method I just thought there was like a button I didn't know about
                    A.

---------------------
                    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
                    X