Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frieder View Post
    Hello,

the "physical camera exposure control" values having no affects to the render solutions. Why?

Best Regards
    By default the exposure of the new physical camera is in "Auto ISO"/ "Target" mode. You can switch to "Manual" mode end then control the exposure using the F-number, Shutter speed and ISO.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
      i just had a quick play so far with the new max physical camera... it's completely wonderful, thanks Vlado & team

the exposure gain thing is genuis, and ticks off my no.1 wish for some kind of EV workflow in the physical camera.
      can you explain this workflow, or point me in the direction of where i might be able to learn more about it?

Comment

I just "upgraded" to Vray 3.2 and Max 2016 today. The new Max Physical camera looks pretty spiffy! However, I noticed that the Vray Physical camera is no longer present? Could someone confirm?
        David Anderson
        www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
        Windows 10 Pro
        3ds Max 2023.3 Update
        V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
        Puget Systems
        TRX40 EATX
        AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
        2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
        128GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by Streetwise View Post
          I just "upgraded" to Vray 3.2 and Max 2016 today. The new Max Physical camera looks pretty spiffy! However, I noticed that the Vray Physical camera is no longer present? Could someone confirm?
          It is there in case you load old files. It can also be created from MaxScript. However you should generally use the new physical camera instead.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

just put this in the maxscript and itll create the good old vray camera

vrayCreateVRayPhysicalCamera()

Comment

Ok Vlado, since you say so, I'll start using the new camera. But it's hard after so many years of getting used to doing it the "old" way.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                It has a better viewport representation (you can preview the DOF effect even). Also, exposure lock - you can adjust DOF/moblur without these affecting the image brightness. Finally, it's a part of 3ds Max now, so 3rd party tools have no excuse to not support it
                Vlado
                How do I preview DOF in the viewport? Nothing showing up for me. Additionally, the lens distortion is not modifying the objects in the scene. The camera grid does distort but not the objects... Is this correct?
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

you just enable "depht of field" in the "lens" part of the physical cam.screw down aperture till you see something. don´t hesitate to choose very very small values ...you just have to wait some seconds till it shows up...

Comment

Originally posted by thomes View Post
                    you just enable "depht of field" in the "lens" part of the physical cam.screw down aperture till you see something. don´t hesitate to choose very very small values ...you just have to wait some seconds till it shows up...
                    I think the problem was that I didn't have "Improve Quality Progressively" checked as it works now. Weird though that the lens distortion now works as well. Oh well, on to other problems....
                    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

I probably have something setup incorrectly "out of the box" as far as lighting but with the new 2016 physical camera if I have a Vray Dome light with a VrayHDRI map when I set the render setup to ActiveShade to use VrayRT I have to set the processing in the material editor to 1.0 for overall and render multipliers and when I render using the Vray Adv 3.20.02 in production rendering mode I have to set the vrayHDRI map processing multipliers to 6 to get a similar image. I know I can import the old camera in but I thought this event was strange and wondered if there is a setting I have over looked or if anyone else has experienced this.

Comment

I don't know why everyone is having problems with the "out of the box" exposure. It has all of the same settings as the vray cam - it just doesn't have the same defaults.
                        Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Originally posted by bzubrick View Post
                          I probably have something setup incorrectly "out of the box" as far as lighting but with the new 2016 physical camera if I have a Vray Dome light with a VrayHDRI map when I set the render setup to ActiveShade to use VrayRT I have to set the processing in the material editor to 1.0 for overall and render multipliers and when I render using the Vray Adv 3.20.02 in production rendering mode I have to set the vrayHDRI map processing multipliers to 6 to get a similar image. I know I can import the old camera in but I thought this event was strange and wondered if there is a setting I have over looked or if anyone else has experienced this.
                          This happened to me when opening old scenes, but not for newly created ones.
                          The problem was that I had VRay Exposure Control enabled. Switching it to Physical Camera Exposure Control solved it and now I have the same results in VRay and VRay RT, as before. You can easily see if the "standard" exposure control is active directly from within your camera parameters : under "Exposure" if the "Install Exposure Control" button is not grayed out then you have another Exposure Control applied (or none at all).
                          Or you can set this directly in the Environment and Effects window.

mekene

Comment

I have some "refresh" problem with the new physical camera and the physical exposure control... sometimes I have to switch to vray exposure and back to physical to get an update. most it happens with vraysun and vraysky...
                            and I don't understand the "physical scale" why the vraysun doesn't render the vraysun if i disable the "phyiscal scale"? and what does 1500 candelas meaning (I understand it, but why is this also valid with a vraysun)? is this environment right also with a vraysun?

best regards
                            themaxxer
                            Pixelschmiede GmbH
                            www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

Originally posted by theedge View Post
                              This happened to me when opening old scenes, but not for newly created ones.
                              The problem was that I had VRay Exposure Control enabled. Switching it to Physical Camera Exposure Control solved it and now I have the same results in VRay and VRay RT, as before. You can easily see if the "standard" exposure control is active directly from within your camera parameters : under "Exposure" if the "Install Exposure Control" button is not grayed out then you have another Exposure Control applied (or none at all).
                              Or you can set this directly in the Environment and Effects window.
                              I'm tentatively moving over to 2016 from '14 (missed 2015), and tried some tests - using identical cameras from a past test scene I find I get different output results. The new Physical Camera in 2016 is giving me lighter results (with ALL camera settings being identical to a pre-16 camera). Not massively different, I'd say around 2/3 of an f-stop brighter.

Any ideas ?
                              Last edited by JezUK; 27-08-2015, 02:38 AM.
                              Jez

------------------------------------
                              3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                              Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                              ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

I found that I had to change the Exposure Gain settings from the "Target" default to "Manual" and then set the ISO down to the same as what I was using for the VRay camera. Maybe you've already done that?
                                David Anderson
                                www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
                                Windows 10 Pro
                                3ds Max 2023.3 Update
                                V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
                                Puget Systems
                                TRX40 EATX
                                AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
                                2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
                                128GB RAM