Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request- Film Response Curves (Comparing Octane to V-Ray)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request- Film Response Curves (Comparing Octane to V-Ray)

Here's a post I've been meaning to write up for a while now but seeing as it's critical to the next lesson I'm creating I can't ignore it anymore.
    For those that know me, you'll know I love the realism Octane gives out of the box but the user demand for V-Ray is obviously a lot higher due to it being a much better overall tenderer for production.
    However, there is one thing sorely lacking in V-Rray and that is realtime Film Response curves.
    Octane has an awesome tone mapper inside which allows you to apply different real world film responses to the image while being able to adjust gamma (To compensate for some of the curves baking in different gammas)

For me personally, I love working with Octane but in all honesty, 90% of that reason is because it gives more realistic renders out of the box not because it's easier to work with (Even though the rendering speed also plays a large part)
    so for the sake of my subscribers who aren't prepared to swap I've made it my mission to figure out why exactly Octane renders look better.

So far I've encountered a few reasons for that.
    -(Be default it uses it's own implementation of the GGX BRDF, that doesn't produce the weird "spreading" on the grazing angles that V-Rays does.
    -Gi simply looks different, it feels more real in shadow areas and with bounced light.
    -Octane has 40 or so film response curves and realtime tone mapping that can drastically alter the look of a render with little effort and all the realistic work I've done in Octane uses them.

So this thread is partly a request for these curves to be implemented but also I've got a couple of questions to ask.
    The only way I currently know how to implement the film response curves is through the Motiva ExposureControl plugin for V-Ray http://www.motivacg.com/en/exposurecontrol/ which has all the same curves as Octane.

Below you'll see a render comparing Octane to V-Ray.

If the gamma is set to 1 in the tonemapper we get a very dark and dirty looking image so in the Octane tonemapper you correct this to be 2.2 (Or whatever you want really for artistic reasons) and all of the reflections/highlights aren't compressed. so you can raise the gamma and basically the detail is still in the image.

Now below that there is the V-Ray version using the Motiva exposurecontrol plugin (which provides these film responses)
    Loading in the same response curve gives a similar result (I'm still not happy) but we now have the problem of the gamma being too dark. So the only way I know how to adjust that in V-Ray is to change the images curve in the frame buffer. (For some reason V-Rays gamma correction in the color options doesn't work with this plugin)
    Doing this though creates really rough banding and the detail simply isn't visible in the dark areas.

Maybe if you check this out Vlado or one of the devs you could shed some light on the differences between the two. I'd love nothing more than to be able to show subscribers how to match the look of Octane.
    Octane does some really weird stuff (subtle reflections are visible in the GI pass etc) and it's very difficult to get V-Ray to behave the same.

Cheers for any help, it's 6am and I've been experimenting 16 hours straight so apologies if this is a weirdly written thread.

Below is a screenshot showing some of the curves octane uses
    Last edited by grantwarwick; 31-07-2015, 01:26 PM.
    admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
    Mastering CGI
    CGSociety Folio
    CREAM Studios
    Mastering V-Ray Thread

You can already load different LUT or OCIO profiles that emulate any kind of film response that you care to name; some of those are available for free online. We won't be doing anything beyond right now, except perhaps an option to bake the LUT/OCIO correction into the image.

The VFB also offers quite extensive color correction tools already; I don't really see a reason to add more, at least for the time being. Maybe later...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Last edited by vlado; 31-07-2015, 02:30 PM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

hmm, just curious is the Fresnel value on the vray material matching that of the octane, I mean in a linear image it should not matter what the curve does to it, if that information exists there in the first place it will be revealed. If you have a different Fresnel, it would not be there or at least not as strong.
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        You can already load different LUT or OCIO profiles that emulate any kind of film response that you care to name; some of those are available for free online. We won't be doing anything beyond right now, except perhaps an option to bake the LUT/OCIO correction into the image.

The VFB also offers quite extensive color correction tools already; I don't really see a reason to add more, at least for the time being. Maybe later...

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Ok, that's understandable but the problem is I can't find these as .Cube files anywhere.
        In fact, I found the source where renders like lux and octane sourced them from but it's raw data and I don't know what to do with it.

----------------------
        Mastering CGI
        CGSociety Folio
        CREAM Studios
        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
          In fact, I found the source where renders like lux and octane sourced them from but it's raw data and I don't know what to do with it.
          Where is that? I can probably tell you what to do with it

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

I'm having issues using the curves in the VFB that "breaks" being in 32bits. It just seems like one I activate the curve, the image is converted to 8 bits. So I never use the curves for that reason.

Maybe this could be fixed and it would help doing some CC in the VFB?

I would love to have a response curve rollout in VFB, I have to use Arion FX for that and I'm jealous that so much other renderer have those straight out if the box.

Stan
            3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
              It just seems like one I activate the curve, the image is converted to 8 bits.
              It isn't; the curves are full floats. A faster algorithm is used when the image is processed for display so that it is interactive, but when writing the final image to disk, full floating-point calculations are used.

I would love to have a response curve rollout in VFB
              I'm afraid it won't happen soon (beyond the use of LUTs and color profiles).

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Last edited by vlado; 01-08-2015, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
                hmm, just curious is the Fresnel value on the vray material matching that of the octane, I mean in a linear image it should not matter what the curve does to it, if that information exists there in the first place it will be revealed. If you have a different Fresnel, it would not be there or at least not as strong.
                No, Octane has some weird reflections that I can't seem to match in Max. It looks like Octane has a default GGX falloff tail of 1.5-1.6

----------------------
                Mastering CGI
                CGSociety Folio
                CREAM Studios
                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  Where is that? I can probably tell you what to do with it

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/sof...ftlib/dorf.php

Hey you go man! Hopefully you know hahaha

Also, I totally get you don't want to add more color correction tools but is it possible to ad only a gamma adjustment in realtime?
                  How much slower is the full floating point adjustments as opposed to the "optimised" one currently in play?

Cheers, thanks so much
                  Last edited by grantwarwick; 01-08-2015, 09:04 AM.

----------------------
                  Mastering CGI
                  CGSociety Folio
                  CREAM Studios
                  Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Ok, that's understandable but the problem is I can't find these as .Cube files anywhere.
                    Just curious could you post those images as exr? and maybe your max scene to experiment with?
                    Dmitry Vinnik
                    Silhouette Images Inc.
                    ShowReel:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

it is just my guess but to me the "octane look" comes from a quite soft filter it seem to use, like AA filter with quite high filter radius.
                      and maybe some dof on, even if only very slightly,etc
                      Last edited by lllab; 01-08-2015, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lllab View Post
                        it is just my guess but to me the "octane look" comes from a quite soft filter it seem to use, like AA filter with quite high filter radius.
                        and maybe some dof on, even if only very slightly,etc
                        I have factored this in. It's similar to a 25pixel cubic AA filter.

----------------------
                        Mastering CGI
                        CGSociety Folio
                        CREAM Studios
                        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Hey you go man! Hopefully you know hahaha
                          We can write a tool that converts these to LUT profiles, if you think this will be useful.

Also, I totally get you don't want to add more color correction tools but is it possible to ad only a gamma adjustment in realtime?
                          Why gamma specifically? Everything with "gamma" in the name is terribly confusing for users.

How much slower is the full floating point adjustments as opposed to the "optimised" one currently in play?
                          I don't know to be honest; I have to try. I do remember that exactly evaluating the Bezier curves for each pixel was quite slow, but it was a while ago.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

I would like to see the standard film stock grades available as LUTs.

We may need a small adjustment to the LUT section of the VFB to allow us to point at a folder or collection of LUTs and easily be able to flick between them. Some other industry standards for film/print might not be a bad idea either. Colour workflows and gamut are just blackholes of mashing information that could really do some with clarifaction, but no-one seems capable of deciding which is best.
                            Maxscript made easy....
                            davewortley.wordpress.com
                            Follow me here:
                            facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
                              I would like to see the standard film stock grades available as LUTs.
                              Well, part of my reluctance to add film curves specifically is that film is a dead technology; everything is digital now, including cameras. So from this point of view, there is very little sense in trying to emulate actual film response. However I do realize that getting a different "look" for an image might be a desirable properly, which is what LUTs and OCIO were designed for.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X