X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice thanks I instantly have a use for it
    German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

Is it possible to create a universal scaling map in OSL? Like for example I created a composite map consisting of say 10 maps and I like the overall result, but I want to have it scaled down by 25%. Usually I'd have to go in each map, do the scaling/tiling. A node doing that for me with say a multiplier would be awesome. I amaware I can do this when setting up a shader with a multiplier controller, but I'd rather have it as one single node. I don't know if it's at all possible with OSL.
      Software:
      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Thanks a lot Rens!
        Very useful thanks for sharing your OSL Shaders
        Regards

Comment

That blur node works really well, but it makes the render around 3x slower with a mild blur...

Comment

Originally posted by Moriah View Post
            That blur node works really well, but it makes the render around 3x slower with a mild blur...
            Pew - I expected it to be slow, but THAT slow?. I might wait this out :P
            Software:
            3ds Max 2016 SP4
            V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
            64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
              Is it possible to create a universal scaling map in OSL? Like for example I created a composite map consisting of say 10 maps and I like the overall result, but I want to have it scaled down by 25%. Usually I'd have to go in each map, do the scaling/tiling. A node doing that for me with say a multiplier would be awesome. I amaware I can do this when setting up a shader with a multiplier controller, but I'd rather have it as one single node. I don't know if it's at all possible with OSL.
              It's not perfect for everything but there's a uvw xform modifier that does this.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                It's not perfect for everything but there's a uvw xform modifier that does this.
                Yeah I am aware of that but it only works with bitmaps and not with procedurals (granted they are object space, not explicit mapping)
                Software:
                3ds Max 2016 SP4
                V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by Moriah View Post
                  Well I never said it would be quick, hence the name.
                  But 3x seems a bit much. Did you increase the scale until you started seeing blocks and lines in the blur? However it does become exponentially slower with increasing blur size, OSL doesn't really work well for this, so use it only where you need it.
                  Rens Heeren
                  Generalist
                  WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

Originally posted by Rens View Post
                    Well I never said it would be quick, hence the name.
                    But 3x seems a bit much. Did you increase the scale until you started seeing blocks and lines in the blur? However it does become exponentially slower with increasing blur size, OSL doesn't really work well for this, so use it only where you need it.
                    Yes, i followed what you said in the initial post, and it really slows down a lot if the blur size is somewhat large. Only thing i could think of where i would use this node would be with procedural stuff, still haven't tested with them, but with a 4k map its around 3x slower, but then again with maps i would rather blur in PS.

I'm curious, where and in what situations would you guys use the blur node, taking in consideration it will be always slower than just rendering a blurred version of a map?

Comment

• Originally posted by Moriah View Post
                      Yes, i followed what you said in the initial post, and it really slows down a lot if the blur size is somewhat large. Only thing i could think of where i would use this node would be with procedural stuff, still haven't tested with them, but with a 4k map its around 3x slower, but then again with maps i would rather blur in PS.
                      Yep, or with the blur parameter on the bitmap node itself.
                      Rens Heeren
                      Generalist
                      WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

• Rens your shaders are pretty impressive!

How about a single sheet scattering material, which simulates scattering of light with single sided geometry (like leaves) I feel that the current 2sided mtl can be better with support of sss, I mean it works fine but at ilm we had to do all kinds of tricks with real sss ontop of it to make it look good and its a pain in the ass a bit, and also 2sided mtl does not have a render element..
                        Dmitry Vinnik
                        Silhouette Images Inc.
                        ShowReel:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

• OSL doesn't allow the creation of custom BSDFs so this can't be achieved with it.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• The archglass looks really cool but I'm struggling to understand a key concept

This shader allows you to simulate full window glass geometry with only one plane
                            Can this shader be used on a pane of glass that actually has a thickness? Would I be correct in assuming this would be achieved by setting both "VRay IOR Out and VRay IOR Glass" to 1.550.

Currently VRay IOR Out set to 1 which I think is why it is supposed to be used on a plane without a thickness?
                            Maya 2020/2022
                            Win 10x64
                            Vray 5

Comment

• Sorry for the double post, but Vlado, is there a difference between how Max and Maya interpret OSL shaders? It seems no normal map works with this particular glass OSL shader in Maya. I'm assuming it's to do with the code itself, in that Max is Z up and Maya is Y up?

If anyone else could give me a pointer on where to start editing to fix this, I'd be happy experimenting with the code to get this working in Maya - it's an awesome glass shader!
                              Maya 2020/2022
                              Win 10x64
                              Vray 5

Comment

• I'll get one of our OSL guys to look into it.

Best regards,
                                Vlado
                                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                                X