No announcement yet.

vray 3.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep in mind that beta 2 is not a final release. Most of the IPR improvements have been stability fixes, as those need to be ironed out first.

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
    The rendered view still can't be locked with IPR. As soon as I switch to other than the camera view, IPR starts rendering it accordingly. That's No. 1 issue for me with IPR.
    This will be done, but was not ready in time for beta 2. Issue #1 for me is stability

Another problem that still remains in beta 2 is that if you don't start IPR with a region render active, you can't do region renders while IPR is running.
    See above.

Is the functionality of automatic refresh of IPR when a region is drawn added yet?
    See above.

By the way, where does one find the pause and resume thingy that we see in the teaser?
    See the link:
    https://labs.chaosgroup.com/index.ph...ble-rendering/

It has screenshots and everything.

Will we be able to pause IPR renders like we can with RT? What if I want to do a bunch of changes but don't want IPR to do updates until I tell it to?
    It could be added, but I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble. Is this an often used feature with V-Ray RT?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Thanks for the prompt reply, Vlado. Yes, I understand that stability is number one priority and it's best to keep it this way. I just secretly hoped that these points would be resolved for the new beta. I guess I'm just like a kid in a toy store that has no patience to try out the newest coolest toy, haha.

In regards to pausing IPR, I don't really know what to think, to be honest. I do use the pause functionality in RT occasionally. Maybe mostly because I have just one card on my PC and sometimes the interface is sluggish if I don't pause. I have no idea how useful an option like this will be with IPR. But until I have a way to use something like this for a while, I guess I'll never know how useful it would be. I think that I'm coming from the fact that sometimes doing something that you'd think won't refresh IPR, does. For example, there's a problem where just double clicking a CC map in material editor causes refresh of IPR which shouldn't happen. And if that happens and you've forgotten to draw a region of interest around your object, the whole frame is rendered from scratch again. I think you already mentioned it's a problem related to Max rather than Vray. So... who knows. I would say don't bother with this for now, I would be perfectly happy if everything else works smoothly. Not a top priority for me.
      Last edited by Alex_M; 12-01-2017, 10:21 AM.
      Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

• If IPR in Beta 2 remains in similar state to Beta 1, then there should definitely be beta 3, with IPR completely done functionality-wise, with just ~2 weeks for users to test and discover last bugs. I have strong doubts that you would be able to weed out all the workflow/functionality issues on your very first take in final release.

It would be very unfortunate to have half-functional IPR with inconsistent behavior, which discourages users from relying on it waiting another year for V-Ray 3.6 which finally fixes it. Let alone the fact that leaving half-complete features in the software for long period of time will cause users to grow quite skeptical of them. So even if you nailed it perfectly in 3.6, a general notion of unreliability and brokenness would only slowly fade away for years to come (and constant comparisons to renderer B and renderer C as well ).

My suggestion is to push IPR into final state as you originally intended it, with everything working and updating correctly, and then release Beta 3 and let us report all the remaining bugs. Focus on stability sure is important, but when it comes to IPR, something failing to update or absence of ability to lock IPR down to selected viewport is equally as serious as a crash.
        Last edited by LudvikKoutny; 12-01-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Ok, I just checked the article in the labs page and I have a question. Is it on purpose that we can't do resumable renders without first setting up an output file? Isn't it possible to also do resumable renders without doing this first? For example, most of the time I don't set up output files when doing single frame renders. I just hit render and save it manually after it's done rendering. Or to be more precise, I just copy the render to clipboard and paste it in PS and don't even bother with saving the image on disk first. What if I wanted to pause mid-render such a job to start another more urgent render and I've not set an output file? Is there a reason that this is not possible? Or am I missing something here (most probably )? I imagined that the "teapot" render icon in the VFB would turn into a "II" pause button after the render is started, but what do I know.
          Last edited by Alex_M; 12-01-2017, 01:24 PM.
          Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
          AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

• It is probably not too much of an issue for us to save to some temporary folder if no actual file name is specified.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

• pause/resume IPR would be crucially important and useful to me if:

1) not taking more than 2~3 second to pause and resume even in a fairly complex scene
              2) after IPR is resumed, it takes all scene edits, including texture changes, and reflect the updates with user force-refresh IPR.

I am using maya. In 3.4, scenes start rendering faster with progressive + cached geo/texture than IPR. Didn't measure it but that is how I feel in general.
              It would be really great if the resume of IPR takes account all scene edits so users don't have to force-refresh or re-start IPR to wait for the longer scene translation time.
              always curious...

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
                It is probably not too much of an issue for us to save to some temporary folder if no actual file name is specified.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                +1 for that feature. If it could work like pause/play without any other actions would be rad!
                www.yellimages.com

Comment

• Originally posted by jasonhuang1115 View Post
                  pause/resume IPR would be crucially important and useful to me if:

1) not taking more than 2~3 second to pause and resume even in a fairly complex scene
                  2) after IPR is resumed, it takes all scene edits, including texture changes, and reflect the updates with user force-refresh IPR.

I am using maya. In 3.4, scenes start rendering faster with progressive + cached geo/texture than IPR. Didn't measure it but that is how I feel in general.
                  It would be really great if the resume of IPR takes account all scene edits so users don't have to force-refresh or re-start IPR to wait for the longer scene translation time.
                  Would it be possible to keep Maya discussions in the Maya forum? It's not particularly relevant to this thread (IPR in Maya is implemented in a different way) and might be misleading for other readers.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

• Sorry about this Vlado and guys.
                    always curious...

Comment

• Originally posted by Recon442 View Post
                      Focus on stability sure is important, but when it comes to IPR, something failing to update or absence of ability to lock IPR down to selected viewport is equally as serious as a crash.
                      I'm aware of this.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

• Sorry if this is not the right place to ask, i thought not to start a new thread about it. I was wondering if with 3.5 official release, dongles are not needed any longer. Thanks!
                        www.yellimages.com

Comment

My suggestion is to push IPR into final state as you originally intended it, with everything working and updating correctly, and then release Beta 3 and let us report all the remaining bugs.
                          I think this might actually be a good idea. In testing beta 2 since yesterday I didn't have any stability issues on my side. So getting the little workflow things out of the way would be great. I mean there is no reason to rush this, if it take more time, I don't mind. For me the IPR is such a big feature that I expect to work perfectly from day 1. And I will be using it a lot, no more hassle with RT CPU. If there is anything we can do besides reporting bugs, please tell us. I really want this to be good!
                          https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

• Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
                            I mean there is no reason to rush this, if it take more time, I don't mind. For me the IPR is such a big feature that I expect to work perfectly from day 1. And I will be using it a lot, no more hassle with RT CPU. If there is anything we can do besides reporting bugs, please tell us. I really want this to be good!
                            Yes! IPR is a game changer! we dont mind waiting for a complete feature
                            www.yellimages.com

Comment

• Yup, it certainly does feel stable to me now, but it still does not feel usable. I can't recall ever having IPR running for more than 5 minutes without stumbling upon some showstopper that defeats point of using interactive rendering, and having to switch back to regular production render.

As long as I am not confident everything is supported and updating correctly, I simply can not take any chances. After you encounter something not updating, you will adapt to hitting refresh button every time, to "make sure", and that then becomes pretty much same to hitting render button each time.

Comment

I can't recall ever having IPR running for more than 5 minutes without stumbling upon some showstopper that defeats point of using interactive rendering, and having to switch back to regular production render.
                                Did you report these issues? If yes, can you point me to the forum threads, just to be sure I didn't miss anything? If not, can you make a post about them?

Best regards,
                                Vlado

Comment

Working...
                                X