No announcement yet.

Updated max 6 DR install Tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how have you create your vraydummy60.max?
    i experience the same problem on just create a file in the maxroot
    i think the right way is :
    open max
    from max save your file as vraydummy60.max on the maxroot of your servers
    I'm pretty sure I tried both ways, but will double check just in case. Thanks.
    Tim Nelson
    timnelson3d.com

Comment

Well, here's my error message from the viz.log file in the Network folder... comes up each time, then VIZ restarts.

2004/11/09 11:04:12 DBG: Starting network
      2004/11/09 11:04:12 ERR: Error loading *.max file
      2004/11/09 11:04:12 ERR: An unexpected exception has occurred in the network renderer and it is terminating.

Comment

Did you create your vrayspawner60.ini file like it says in the install notes?

And you also have to create a vraydummy60.max file for it to work.

Not like I should talk though!
        Tim Nelson
        timnelson3d.com

Comment

a stupid question from a non viz user:
          is the file extension in Viz not .viz or is it .max

Comment

so has anyone sucessfully got DR working with viz 2005? I haven't tried yet, but will most likely attempt it later today.

-z
            Chris
            The Revitlution

Comment

a stupid question from a non viz user:
              is the file extension in Viz not .viz or is it .max
              The viz file extension is .max same as max
              Chris
              The Revitlution

Comment

Yes - everything is set up exactly as it should be according to the instructions. I have the dummy file, my INI file points to the 3dsviz executable.

Viz starts up and shuts down. Therefore, the INI and the vrayspawner60 are both working fine, the error message is coming through that VIZ can't open the vraydummy60.max file for some reason. I've tried saving it with the different renderers active, and also saving a copy in VIZ 4 format and in max 7... but no luck.

I copied exactly what vray files I had in the VIZ folder over to the demo of max 7 I was testing ... after adjusting the INI to point to the 3dsmax.exe file in the max 7 folder, everything worked fine. I tried copying my viz2005 to a directory right off the c: drive, with no spaces in the name. Still just opens VIZ, closes VIZ, opens VIZ, closes VIZ over and over again.

Because the *exact* same files worked in the max 7 installation on my computer, I can only conclude there's some issue using dr on Viz 2005. It will not open the *.max file nomatter what I try.

Comment

i have max 6, vraydummy60.max in the root, an empty network folder and it still wont work; just comes up with the ip address and says its failed. any ideas?

Comment

Because the *exact* same files worked in the max 7 installation on my computer, I can only conclude there's some issue using dr on Viz 2005. It will not open the *.max file nomatter what I try.
                    hmmm.... so this appears to be a bug, right? can anyone at Chaos confirm?

thanks,

-Z

edit: sorry for the double post
                    Chris
                    The Revitlution

Comment

hmmm.... so this appears to be a bug, right? can anyone at Chaos confirm?

thanks,

-Z
                      Chris
                      The Revitlution

Comment

I'll third that. It would be really nice to get it working on Viz in the next couple of days.
                        Tim Nelson
                        timnelson3d.com

Comment

Just to throw my two cents in -
                          I have DR working perfectly on all my machines - except one that has Windows 2000 on it (has the same error described earlier of opening, failing then closing repeatedly).
                          All the other machines are XP.

Coincidence?

Perhaps, I really havn't had time to test the theory out...
                          --||atomcraft||--
                          www.chrisglew.com
                          | Sun Ultra 40 Workstation | XP 64 | 2X Dual Core Opteron64 280 | 8GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro 4000 |

Comment

I have the problem of DR works for a period of time and then it just stops and says it failed. Cleaning out the network folder sometimes works and sometimes not.
                            (max6, I'm running everything from win2000 to xp machines)
                            I see some people getting it to work. has anyone got any ideas?
                            val valgardson
                            http://www.photorealistic-rendering.com/

Comment

wow i love DR!!!!!!

one bug: dont hit cancel, this will crash the (some) servers amd you have to restart everything.
                              Reflect, repent and reboot.
                              Order shall return.

Comment

i would like to hear a something from peter or vlado about DR.

shall we just dump it if we can´t get it to work because it´s still in alpha stage?

or is THIS what we will get with v1.5 final?

i ask because the last weeks i spend 3-4 full days of f*cking around with this damn DR.

im not a network newbie, we have brazil´s banshee running here (also beta) and it is a joy to setup and work with.

we have tested anything we could think of, so i must admit vray defeated me. it´s a mess.

ps: deleting the files in the network folder did not help.
                                as soon as a render job start on the slave it goes: close max - open max - close max - open max - close max.....

the vraydummy is in place, firewall is ok, network folders are empty, no missing path (scenes without maps/plugins show the same behavior).

vray scene file in the network folder is 0 bytes.

AGAIN: banshee and backburner and all other network traffic is just working fine!

win xp sp2
                                amd64
                                2 or 3 gb ram each system
                                gigabit network
                                max 7
                                vray 1.46.05

Comment

Working...
                                X