No announcement yet.

VRayLight units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting thread. Now, how do I adjust that number to get to real (inch/foot) units?
    sigpic
    J. Scott Smith Visual Designs

FB Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/jssvisualdesigns
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/jscottsmith
    https://jscottsmith.com/

Comment

Like I said, if Vray assumes always that 1 unit is 1 meter, it means that converting to inches means that you have to multiply by approx. 1550
      You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Gijs can you answer me this? I got my display unit scale set to "cm", my system unit setup is set to "cm" too .... when I create box 400 cm x 400 cm and create light U x V 400 cm x 400 cm my vray light is 2x bigger then my box when I look at it in top view. Why is that happening. Is it connected somehow with the issue that V-ray is representing units as meters? Because I don't understand it.

Comment

When you create a light with U=1 and V=1, it means the light is 2 x 2 units. Not very logical, but this is just the way it is.

btw: I stated earlier that a bulb produces obout 10% light, but this is more the case for fluorecent tubes. I read somewhere else that the maximum lumens per watt a light can generate is about 685 lumens/watt.

See also this calculation:
          http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...on/lumpow.html
          You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

I don't know if you came across to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incande...and_efficiency , but this can come handy too
            From what I have red till now ( just to make myself clear ) if I set the U and V size of light 20x20 cm - V-ray takes it as 20x20 m light source?

Comment

Originally posted by Gijs
              When you create a light with U=1 and V=1, it means the light is 2 x 2 units. Not very logical, but this is just the way it is.
              Gijs: I brought this up in a thread under "Problems", http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=13438 , but no one seemed to comment on it. The problem is that vray uses the numbers (1,1) to determine the intensity, rather than the physical size. e.g.: a U=1 and V=1 vraylight matches the intensity of a "normalized intensity" switched light which makes sense, but you end up with a light that's 2 x 2 units.

Jaro: to determine the correct multiplier, vray only looks at the System Units. It doesn't care what the display units are.
              www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

say your workingwith generic units and system units as millimeters, what would the calculation be for a 90watt bulb, 70mm x 70mm?

Please! All these calculations are bending my mind into a pretzel.

Comment

Well, it isn't all that difficult. Consider the following:

If you are working in mm, multiply by 1000 x 1000
                  If you are working in cm, multiply by 100 x 100
                  If you are working in dm, multiply by 10 x 10
                  If you are working in inches multiply by 1/(0.0254^2) (approx. 1550)

If your bulb emits e% light, multiply the resulting number again with e x 0.01

The size in units of your light does not matter when normalize is checked, you 'only' have to take care about the units.

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong, but when the efficiency of 100 W bulb is 2.6% the amount we set for V-ray light is 2.6, but when we consider 60 W bulb with its efficiency 2.1 %, I guess the amount we set for light is not 2.1 but 1.26. My speculation is based on what Vlado said. That V-ray light is concerning only output power, and for 60W bulb, with efficiency 2.1 % it means 1.26 W output power that is tranfered to light, rest is heat and so on.

Comment

so for a 100W bulb in millimeters, the following is correct?

1000x1000x0.026 = 26000

So if the vray light was a sphere, i would set the vray light U size to about 75mm (roughly the size of the bulb), with a multiplier of 26000?

Comment

Now it seems that those settings works only for PLANE V-ray light, when I simply switch to SPHERE (settings are same ) the render is completly burnt ( lots of light )

Comment

Just a guess, but maybe you need to divide the value by 12.56 (4*pi) since the surface area of a sphere is 4*pi*r^2.
                          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

nope, this will not work, because I'm using normalize intensity ON, it doesn't metter what U x V size I have, when I divide Multip. by 4*PI it's not the same.
                            Now the thing with setting eaqul light is clear to me, but only with Norm. Int. chceked on, when I unchacked it, I don't know, how to set mult. to have same lighting.

Comment

Jaro,

I don't have that problem when switching to a sphere. Or do you mean dome light?

Comment

Gijs,
                                This is what I get when I simply swith from plane V-ray light to spherical V-ray light. Meybe I'm doing something wrong and it is not that simple. But can you tell me your set-up?

Comment

Working...
                                X