Verdict on Max 2018?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leehumphries View Post
    following on from this post on Max 2018. i actually like 2018 and although i have had a few crashes i don't believe its down to max for once. Mine was issues keeping IPR always on and updating floor generator materials. Which i should of probably shut IPR down before tweaking stuff. I used 2017 for the past year and found so many random crashes became a pain to work safely with.

2018 does have a few little issues with scene explorer but only regarding some shortcuts.
    Any IPR could have problem when you use some 3dsMax maps.
    It is because 3dsMax maps are not completely thread safe.
    It happens for Arnold IPR, too.

Comment

anthonyh selection brackets - cant you when object selected just press letter 'J' on keyboard to turn selction brackets on / off. If that is what you meant

Comment

@leehumpries - oh nice, didn`t know that. now to condition my brain to remember. many thanks.
        anthonyh

Comment

Originally posted by gandhics View Post
          BTW, "as for 2018 the forced double selection issue for entry boxes/drop down menus is really starting to annoy.".
          What does it mean? Any step to reproduce? Did you have 2018.1?
          If possible I'd like to know a little more about this too.

Thanks for all the replies so far!
          http://www.glass-canvas.co.uk

Comment

double selection issue:
            i did another post about this i think. what you do is have render settings window open on say vray tab. now click in the viewport to make it active(or on an object whatever). now go to select a drop down menu or input box eg the progressive/bucket menu or noise threshold or other and it doesn`t properly register the click, the menu will ping off and the input box won`t register until you click again. i`ve noticed this happening elsewhere too but i can`t remember where offhand. seems totally repeatable for me at least.

Comment

Mine was issues keeping IPR always on and updating floor generator materials.
              I would like to know more about this. Can you tell me how we can reproduce the issue here? Do you still have the crash dump?

Best regards,
              Vlado

I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

following on from this post on Max 2018. i actually like 2018 and although i have had a few crashes i don't believe its down to max for once. Mine was issues keeping IPR always on and updating floor generator materials. Which i should of probably shut IPR down before tweaking stuff. I used 2017 for the past year and found so many random crashes became a pain to work safely with.

2018 does have a few little issues with scene explorer but only regarding some shortcuts.
                Can you be more specific about the Floor generator + IRP issues ?
                If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                Chaos

Comment

vlado matanov i think it was my stupid fault with IPR and floor generator. I tried deleting a bitmap in slate editor that was already linked to an object and it crashed. I realised it used to do it on previous versions of max, so not necessarily IPR. I do get the odd errors in vray messages when using IPR. I have literally only just started using it and its such a great tool i will keep updating if i find anything strage going on. One thing i noticed when using railclone and forest with IPR on the actualy pointcloud data or geo for forest / railcone dissapears from the viewport view. When using normal progressive render it doesnt.

Comment

vlado matanov i think it was my stupid fault with IPR and floor generator. I tried deleting a bitmap in slate editor that was already linked to an object and it crashed. I realised it used to do it on previous versions of max, so not necessarily IPR. I do get the odd errors in vray messages when using IPR. I have literally only just started using it and its such a great tool i will keep updating if i find anything strage going on. One thing i noticed when using railclone and forest with IPR on the actualy pointcloud data or geo for forest / railcone dissapears from the viewport view. When using normal progressive render it doesnt.
                    We (Chaos and iToo) are aware of the viewport disappearing thing and it will be addressed soon.

Peter Matanov
                    Chaos

Comment

vlado where do i get the dump file from to send over when i get a crash ?
                      Still getting crashes when IPR open with railclone now.and milti texture. May not be vray related tho.
                      I changed from texture to object in multi texture with IPR on running and crashed

Comment

vlado where do i get the dump file from to send over when i get a crash ?
                        Still getting crashes when IPR open with railclone now.and milti texture. May not be vray related tho.
                        I changed from texture to object in multi texture with IPR on running and crashed
                        In %temp% folder - 3dsmax_minidump.dmp and/or VRay.dmp. Of course it will be best if you send us the scene(s).

Peter Matanov
                        Chaos

Comment

So is 2018 any good now? How does it stack to 2016 in terms of stability and bugs? I'm contemplating transitioning but I'm very cautious still.
                          Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                          AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

It does include Stingray now. That is my main reason to install it. The scene transfer (even with V-Ray Materials) is pretty easy.
                            Olaf Bendfeldt
                            3D-Artist
                            dimension3+

Comment

Crashes constantly with Railclone and IPR. It's really hard to get any work done in its current state. Hopefully, they fix these issues.

Comment

I installed it for Stingray, it is easy as hell getting a VR experience, instead of walking through Unreal Engine process. And for free...why not!

Comment

Working...
                                X