No announcement yet.

Verdict on Max 2018?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For camera, could u guy try this on listener to see if it make things any better?
    Default is false. So if you don't see any difference, set back to false.
    NitrousGraphicsManager.HardwareHitTestEnabled = true

Comment

Originally posted by TutanMark View Post
      Hi Bruce, what kind of camera selection bug?
      The problem I was referring to is when you select the camera head the target gets selected also. That means it's impossible to move the camera while leaving the target stationary. The workaround (from a mouse selection) is to select the target first and then right click a quad menu to select the camera head. Stupid. As mentioned - it's extremely frustrating to get an "update" that breaks a function that worked previously.

Comment

Plus one.That is very annoying. The other workaround is, after selecting camera and now by default getting camera + target selected, to take the previously unneeded step of alt click the target to de select.
        mark f.
        openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Hart View Post

The problem I was referring to is when you select the camera head the target gets selected also. That means it's impossible to move the camera while leaving the target stationary. The workaround (from a mouse selection) is to select the target first and then right click a quad menu to select the camera head. Stupid. As mentioned - it's extremely frustrating to get an "update" that breaks a function that worked previously.
          interestingly it doesn't have this issue with standard cameras, only physical cameras and even worse if you use a physical camera with no target where you cant select the camera at all

Comment

I just tried to use 2018.2 on a project here involving just simple modeling. What a pile of garbage... It crashes, I'm not exaggerating, every 5 f*cking minutes on simple operations like adding/moving modifiers and even selecting stuff. Seriously, f*ck this sh*t! I saved my project file down to version 2016 and continued working on it in Max 2016 and I haven't had a single crash or a problem since then. This is second Max version in a row that I've paid for and won't use (thanks, Autodesk... not!). Sadly, it looks like the only thing increasing along with the upgrade prices is the monumental lack of competence and commitment to their clients. The price of Max since version 2016 should be decreasing with each newer version, not increasing. The fact that they can't fix a simple camera selection bug for 2-3 years now is more than telling. I I'm fuming right now.
            Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
            AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

So how long can we hang on to 2016 before it gets removed from subscription? When 2020 gets released, right?

Comment

Originally posted by hoppergrass View Post

interestingly it doesn't have this issue with standard cameras, only physical cameras and even worse if you use a physical camera with no target where you cant select the camera at all
                The physical camera selection issue was fixed in Update 3. Give that a shot and let us know if it's fixed for you.
                -Chippy

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
                  I just tried to use 2018.2 on a project here involving just simple modeling. What a pile of garbage... It crashes, I'm not exaggerating, every 5 f*cking minutes on simple operations like adding/moving modifiers and even selecting stuff. Seriously, f*ck this sh*t! I saved my project file down to version 2016 and continued working on it in Max 2016 and I haven't had a single crash or a problem since then. This is second Max version in a row that I've paid for and won't use (thanks, Autodesk... not!). Sadly, it looks like the only thing increasing along with the upgrade prices is the monumental lack of competence and commitment to their clients. The price of Max since version 2016 should be decreasing with each newer version, not increasing. The fact that they can't fix a simple camera selection bug for 2-3 years now is more than telling. I I'm fuming right now.
                  Likely you have some conflict with drivers, plugins, OS or other issue? This surely isn't the norm for most users upgrading. We've just recently brought all our machines up to speed without any major problems. Have you taken any time to trouble shoot the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by chipnuts View Post

The physical camera selection issue was fixed in Update 3. Give that a shot and let us know if it's fixed for you.
                    I have 2018 version 20.0 - 20.3.0.3149 (from the About 3DS Max - Help Menu). The physical camera selection bug remains. Select physical camera and it, still, also simultaneously selects the camera target. Not sure why you think it has been fixed in Update 3?
                    mark f.
                    openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Half the guys in the office here crash when launching so we're stuck with 2016 (skipped 2017). We updated to update 3 and have installed latest video card drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
                        Just a note. 2018.3 is out.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com
                        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

There`s also a 2016.5 but there`s very little in the notes to make it worth it. I wonder what else they`ve broken though ?

Comment

Originally posted by OPEN_RANGE View Post

I have 2018 version 20.0 - 20.3.0.3149 (from the About 3DS Max - Help Menu). The physical camera selection bug remains. Select physical camera and it, still, also simultaneously selects the camera target. Not sure why you think it has been fixed in Update 3?
                            OMG, I am so sorry. We had fixed it internally. Thought it made it into Update 3. Apologizes for the confusion. Will follow up when it could be available in a possible update. Believe me, I understand the frustration.
                            -Chippy

Comment

so, is there any reason to update to 18 from 17? not had any major headaches with 17 so tempted to stick with what i know...
                              Last edited by s0real; 09-11-2017, 03:03 AM.
                              when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

Comment

?Don?t fix something that already works? may apply. I don?t know what new features are in 18 that you might benefit from. You might be able to find a list or comparison or ?new in 18? from autodesk.

FWIW many found 17 to be very, even extremely, problematic in various ways. 18 seems generally to have been an improvement over 17 with some bugs fixed.

The updates seem to break things that always worked in the past. Paying significant $ to subscribe to a product that seems to break basic functions on each new version has caused a lot of frustration for very many users. This seems like a fairly recent development starting with especially 17. Prior to that each successive new version always had it?s critics, but nowhere near the level of widespread problems that have been in play since 17.

My two cents. best of luck.

this post is turning all the apostrophe and quotation symbols into ? Marks. Just discussing 17 causes bugs
                                Last edited by OPEN_RANGE; 09-11-2017, 06:57 AM.
                                mark f.
                                openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Working...
                                X