Viewport IPR Gamma issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viewport IPR Gamma issue

How do you resolve the gamma issue in viewport IPR...Looks like double gamma has been added.
    Vincent Jaramillo
    Smithgroup
    301 Battery Street
    San Francisco, Ca 94111

You haven't turned on sRGB in the VFB. If you turn it on they will match. Then you'll have to gamma correct the map to remove the washed out look.
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

I don't turn on srgb on in my workflow. My color mapping is set to color map plus gamma, Reinhard 1.2/.08 gamma set to 2.2 and srbg off in the VFB. This has been my workflow for years. Is it incorrect? I've always gotten great results.
      Vincent Jaramillo
      Smithgroup
      301 Battery Street
      San Francisco, Ca 94111

Comment

Originally posted by vjaramillo View Post
        Is it incorrect?
        Yes. Very.

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Really? Can you explain why? Also now I have to add a 2.2 gamma when I save the file.
          Vincent Jaramillo
          Smithgroup
          301 Battery Street
          San Francisco, Ca 94111

Comment

Actually, you don't have to do anything if you just leave Max and Vray at their defaults after install. Reset your Vray render settings and set Max to use Gamma 2.2 in Preferences > Gamma and LUT like here.
            Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
            AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

That's what I have set for my gamma in MAX. It's been a standard for years. The only thig I've done different is use the color mapping and gamma setting in the tone mapper and turning of srgb in the VFB.
              Vincent Jaramillo
              Smithgroup
              301 Battery Street
              San Francisco, Ca 94111

Comment

Originally posted by vjaramillo View Post
                That's what I have set for my gamma in MAX. It's been a standard for years. The only thig I've done different is use the color mapping and gamma setting in the tone mapper and turning of srgb in the VFB.
                This will lead to the double gamma issue that you are having though. I'm not sure how best to solve it; adding a gamma option for the viewport IPR specifically doesn't seem like a good idea. Locking it to the sRGB button in the VFB is possible, but a bit weird as the VFB controls the viewport - nevertheless it could be done if you are ok with it?

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado...I'll start with setting tone mapper to color map only and turn on the srgb.
                  Vincent Jaramillo
                  Smithgroup
                  301 Battery Street
                  San Francisco, Ca 94111

Comment

Working...
                  X