Bug 02. Speed test Vray 1.46.15 vs 1.09.03r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Disable HT within your computer bios
    2. You can still render the scenes using 1.09?

Best regards
    This signature is only a temporary solution

Comment

It has been mentioned several times that for the same settings, 1.46.xx will be slower than 1.09.03. This is not because VRay is so much slower in general, but because for the same settings, VRay does more work. If you are interested in rendering a particular scene, send it to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com and I'll be able to comment on how to speed it up.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by schmyvol_eye
        well how do i disable hyperthreading?
        If disabled HT rendertime slow at 30%

Comment

ht

so disabling hyperthreading isnt recommended i take it... i thought it would be the same but just with two buckets...

Rerender: of course i could use the old version but i like to keep things clean. I always try to work with the latest software because there should be a reason for it being "newer", meaning less bugs and new features and possibly speed ups. I dont like the idea of having to revert to an old version or having both installed. if a user nowadays has to work that way, then we're doing something wrong, i give you that much.

Vlado: thanks, i might just take you up on that offer. I understand what you're saying but that doesnt really help us mortals... how come this isnt mentioned anywhere? isnt it possible to bring out a sheet on which it is clearly stated what needs to be changed in vray 1.4* for it to render a scene from 1.09 just as fast as before? it would sure help...

btw, gotten the render times down to almost 3 min as im writing this, so im getting there, thanks all. but i still find it a bit dull that i have to go search and post in the forums first to figure out to get it working... no hard feelings though...
          "Scottie? What's the status?" "Ion repulsors damaged, warp core unstable and fluctuating" "How long until we're ready for warpspeed?" "In about 4 hours, captain" "Scottie, you've got 2 hours" "I'll do it in 1 captain"

Comment

There's a tab called "QMC sampler" in the vray settings - you'll find a value "global subdivs multiplier" that is set to 1.0 at present. An easy way to make vray 1.46.15 behave more like 1.09 might be to lower this value, but it probably could cause problems as it affects all qmc based values.
            Also upping the noise threshold somewhat could speed up things greatly without making to much visible difference depending on your image, although this is not really 1.09 - 1.46 related.

Play with it!
            Michael
            This signature is only a temporary solution

Comment

Im certain the latest build is slightly faster at rendering a scene at the same quality, with more options than 1.09 but it involves adjusting all of your material settings, dropping the IR map settings (such as subdivs) and adjusting the QMC settings. Theres quite a few things to consider but most people experienced with the beta will say converting the scene is simple!

If you arnt sure about what settings to change, you really should set up a new material library (create new vray mats which will by default have better settings than any 1.09 mats) and redo the scene with settings which suits the current vray. If this isnt an option, stick to 1.09 for now?

Did someone write a script that converts the vray material settings from 1.09 to 1.46 equivalents? this would be very handy!

I think if you used to use a lot of glossies and want to speed up interiors using lightcache then you will really like 1.46.15 once you get to know the differences!

BTW: I agree that some kind of detailed FAQ would be very handy for these kinds of scenarios, with maybee a checklist of things to change/go through. Im sure this will be done for 1.5 but check through the help files/ tutes for now because they should help a LOT

Comment

Originally posted by Sushidelic
                There's a tab called "QMC sampler" in the vray settings - you'll find a value "global subdivs multiplier" that is set to 1.0 at present. An easy way to make vray 1.46.15 behave more like 1.09 might be to lower this value, but it probably could cause problems as it affects all qmc based values.
                Also upping the noise threshold somewhat could speed up things greatly without making to much visible difference depending on your image, although this is not really 1.09 - 1.46 related.

Play with it!
                Michael
                May be you right. I cheket this. Tranks

Comment

Working...
                X