UI drawing speed of VRayMtl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UI drawing speed of VRayMtl

UI drawing speed of V-Ray 5 VRayMtl is slow compared to other materials in Compact Material Editor.
    Can it be improved?

Also, does the VRAY_MTL_PREVIEW=0 environment variable work with V-Ray 5 release version?

ScreenCapture
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F4a...HK2SKOT9Rc1m8/

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
    oakcorp.net
    v-ray.jp

Originally posted by flat View Post
    Also, does the VRAY_MTL_PREVIEW=0 environment variable work with V-Ray 5 release version?
    This is now an option in the render settings, "Settings" tab, "System" rollout.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ui.png
Views:	1517
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1082649
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thank you for the information!

However, it seems that the preview swatch is not the cause. Probably the current V-RayMtl specifications.

We hope that the UI code will be improved in the future.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
      oakcorp.net
      v-ray.jp

Comment

Yes. After opening Max, it takes forever to open the node material editor and add new V-Ray materials or maps. Max needs to "think" for several minutes before the menu unrolls and displays the available maps. Once you do this once it is more reactive.
        Check my blog

Comment

Originally posted by BBB3 View Post
          it takes forever to open the node material editor and add new V-Ray materials or maps.
          This is the only reason why we are still not using the SME over here.

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by BBB3 View Post
            Yes. After opening Max, it takes forever to open the node material editor and add new V-Ray materials or maps. Max needs to "think" for several minutes before the menu unrolls and displays the available maps. Once you do this once it is more reactive.
            Hm, can you record a video? Maybe it's an issue that we haven't come across yet.

Best regards,
            Vlado

I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Check this out. It's not "minutes" but one minute to open a V-Ray material. Definitely not a deal breaker but still pretty long given it was pretty much instant before.
              It's faster if the scene is empty and grows slower the bigger the scene is. And it's only the first time after you open the scene:
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m_w...ew?usp=sharing
              Check my blog

Comment

I was denied :*(
                Lele
                Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                ----------------------
                emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Sorry. Should work now.
                  Check my blog

Comment

any fix for this?
                    id liek to be able to use vray material preview but ist slowing down my entire workflow on any scene bigger than a few teapots

Comment

I've noticed that Vray materials in Slate Material Editor are a bit slower to update than Vray Next than too. Even when enabling the option to use the old shader ball. I mean, if it's that slow with a Threadripper 3970x and a GTX 1080 Ti, there's something wrong somewhere IMHO. I'm pretty certain it's due to Autodesk's laziness and ineptitude to modernize their software to support modern hardware and UI. The UI in Max hasn't been updated in almost 20 years.
                      Last edited by Alex_M; 05-09-2020, 04:13 AM.
                      Aleksandar Mitov
                      www.renarvisuals.com
                      office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
                      AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
                      64GB DDR5
                      GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

+1 for a request for a faster material UI....even with standard UI, i find it really slowish, and with vray previews, even worse...

Comment

yeah rolled back to standard via the tick box for now...its not pretty but at least i can work at speed again after a week of ripping hair out lol
                          this is with a 2080 and 2990wx (a CPU i blame for a lot of things lol....)

what set ups are people using to get decent speed? granted im back on 2019 for now so might be the older max contributing to that but def way worse in Vray 5

Comment

this is not by all means CPU thing its slow on 3990 as well
                            Martin
                            http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Curious if there is an update for this?
                              Available for remote work.
                              My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

Working...
                              X