Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay matte shadow makes noisy alpha

Hi!

I have the feeling that when you render a shadow matte into the alpha channel, the shadow is super noisy.
    Someone else noticed that?

The RGB pass looks already almost grain free but the alpha is still noisy.
    How is that possible?
    Is there a different way how VRay checks if the noise threshold for the alpha has been reached?

Without denoiser, to be clear.

Thanks and Greetings!

How exactly are you testing (comparing) this? From what I've tested, the shadow noise pattern matches the RGB noise pattern.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

A colleague of mine who pointed me to that issue will prepare an example and elaborate more on that topic. As I said, I have no doubts that mathematically everything is correct and also measurement wise the values may be correct, but it's more a feeling. Looking at the RGB pass, I can say that it's almost noise free, but looking at the matte shadow in the alpha, I can say that it looks very grainy.

Comment

Hello everyone, I am that mentioned colleague.

Here is an example of that problem: I rendered an image with an alpha based on direct Shadow from a sphere onto a matte plane. For the purposes of demonstration, I used very noisefree settings. But on a white background, you can see how the shadow, because of the alpha is pretty noisy.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	RidiculousRenderSettings.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	1141182
        200% zoom, so you can better see the grain:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	GrainyShadowZoom200percent.JPG Views:	0 Size:	21.8 KB ID:	1141184
        200% Zoom Alpha:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	GrainyAlphaZoom400percent.JPG Views:	0 Size:	10.5 KB ID:	1141183

However, the shadow does become very smooth, if you raise the min subdivs. I took a screenshot of that, as well and you can see how the shadow is basically noise free. So it seems like the system always uses min subdivs when calculating the alpha of the shadow, regardless of noise threshold settings
        Here is the shadow at 200% again and even zoomed in, it looks very smooth.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	HighSubDivs200percent.JPG Views:	0 Size:	36.4 KB ID:	1141185

Comment

Could you attach the scene from the screencap here? I cannot produce such noisy results with those render settings, so there might be something else going on.

Comment

Sure thing, its not the exact same scene, but it has the same results.

Max version is 23.3.0.3201
            Vray version is 5.20.02 build 00001

You can see the shadow best when putting a white background into the Frame Buffer Background.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by julius_may; 25-02-2022, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I see. Sorry to say, this is a common issue with shadow catchers. Though it's barely visible, the alpha noise pattern still matches the RGB, though it's barely visible (check RGB values). Using a VRayDenoiser should give you the desired look without the render time cost of increasing the image sampler settings.

Comment

Ah, alright then, that would explain it, thanks.
                So far, our solution has been denoising and/or high min subdivs, too.

Comment

Well, I think if you may try settings like this, it could serve its purpose also being a bit faster and without using denoising.
                  What I never saw before, was a strange gap in the shadow in your original scene (left side), which turned out to disappear while using more samplings.

Decreasing the NoiseTheshold to 0,02 e.g. gives a even faster rendering (11,3 sec), while leaving the shadow even not to noisy.
                  If you now turn a denoiser on that ( I tried the Intel one) you get a ultrasmooth shadow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-02-25 173013.jpg Views:	0 Size:	245.1 KB ID:	1141226

Last edited by caypiranha; 25-02-2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

And well, using VRayDenoiser with Default Settings gives results like this: https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...disturbs-alpha

So, no clean and smooth matte shadow in alpha possible with VRay, without tweaking or postpro? I wish Chaos would make a more handy solution that gives smooth alpha shadow mattes directly / instandly.

Comment

The defaults are meant to make RGB look good without absurd render times.

If you tweak the settings as shown you can get those shadows with relatively reasonable render times. It's good to keep in mind the weird backwards nature where a higher quality often renders faster in these cases.

I could see this being an issue if you are trying to render part of your RGB with the catcher (like to get an object and its shadow in a single pass). Most of the time people will render the shadow as a completely separate pass with the objects set to unseen by camera.

Perhaps VRay could default to more samples for the catcher when using a shadow catcher (either the VRayMtlWrapper or the shadow matte options in the VRayProperties dialog)??

Comment

Originally posted by TubeSmokeGuy View Post
                        And well, using VRayDenoiser with Default Settings gives results like this: https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...disturbs-alpha

So, no clean and smooth matte shadow in alpha possible with VRay, without tweaking or postpro? I wish Chaos would make a more handy solution that gives smooth alpha shadow mattes directly / instandly.
                        Regardless of what Software you use: Maya, Max, or renderer like vRay and sure - many others: The desired "default" settings are sometimes not satisfying in the first place. But as we see on the thread you linked here or the solution which might be taken here, it could be possible to archive something, that´s quite nothing left to moan about.
                        High Quali shadows never were fast to render. And good quality pictures always took a lot of time wich never are coming out of the Box. Although nowadays, we render everything with global illumination, it´s not self-evident, that all this is also now rendering fast like hell and being high-quality.
                        It´s today maybe more like: the defaults give you a fast and timesaving start and you tweak it up until your needs are almost there. For first renderings and getting everything in place, it´s serving it purpose pretty well.
                        I find this almost better than turning first the HQ settings down to work faster on the basics and then afterward increasing them up again for final renderings. Then once it comes to getting final, just tweak e.g. the subdiv multiplier, and then it´s good to go.

Comment

Working...
                        X