Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customize User Interface - Quads - Keeps Resetting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post
    Try using the script provided by Autodesk here (post 20). Also, check if your "Save UI Configuration on Exit" option (Customize>Preferences>General>UI Display) is enabled.
    Hello again.
    Tried both. Still not working. Did the script as well as checked my settings.
    Again, I am not sure how else to rephrase this. If I install Vray 5 right now, it will work 100% perfect. I have done this test and it fixes it. It is a Vray6 issue somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by RedStar View Post

Hello again.
      Tried both. Still not working. Did the script as well as checked my settings.
      Again, I am not sure how else to rephrase this. If I install Vray 5 right now, it will work 100% perfect. I have done this test and it fixes it. It is a Vray6 issue somewhere.
      It must be something specific since it is working fine on my end (V-Ray 6, 3ds Max 2023). Are you starting 3ds Max as an admin? Try resetting your 3ds Max to its defaults (save the old ENU folder).
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Also, do you have the latest 3ds Max 2021.3 update installed? The issue is an Autodesk one (it appears with, but it's not caused by V-Ray).
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Also, do you have the latest 3ds Max 2021.3 update installed? The issue is an Autodesk one (it appears with, but it's not caused by V-Ray).
          Let me take a look at my 3d max updates. Again, Vray5 works perfect, Vray6 has this hiccup. I know you mention it has nothing to do with Vray but how is it that 5 works and 6 doesn't? I install 5 things save, I install 6 things dont. I am not that smart but from this pattern its safe to say its something related to 6?

Comment

Hermit, not sure how else to put it. It has nothign to do with 3d max or any certain config. Its 100% Vray 6. Its an issue with the new release thats causing it. No other way to put it and no reason to try and point a finger at something else causing the problem, this is an internal Vray 6 issue plain and simple.
            Totally agree, we shouldn´t use scripts or workarounds, only if we know it´s going to be fixed in a near future.

Comment

The issue started after installing vray 6, it happens at my home pc and my work pc that is managed by a corporation. I´ve noticed on max 2023, latest update, while my max 2021 and vray 5 was used for current projects.
              We received green flag to update, and now it happens on max 2021 and 2023, both with vray 6. Both at home pc and work pc.

When uninstalling vray 6, things go back to normal.

So, it´s vray 6 related.
              Last edited by brunonz; 20-07-2022, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brunonz View Post

The issue started after installing vray 6, it happens at my home pc and my work pc that is managed by a corporation. I´ve noticed on max 2023, latest update, while my max 2021 and vray 5 was used for current projects.
                We received green flag to update, and now it happens on max 2021 and 2023, both with vray 6. Both at home pc and work pc.

When uninstalling vray 6, things go back to normal.

So, it´s vray 6 related.
                This is what is annoying me Brunonz, no matter how many times we repeat this Hermit keeps making comments about it being something other than Vray. I literally do not understand why they cannot admit its a flaw on their end. I tried to rephrase it many times as nicely and politely as possibly, but they keep making excuses instead of admitting their software is creating the flaw. Easier to just keep pointing a finger at Autodesk.

Comment

This is what is annoying me Brunonz, no matter how many times we repeat this Hermit keeps making comments about it being something other than Vray. I literally do not understand why they cannot admit its a flaw on their end. I tried to rephrase it many times as nicely and politely as possibly, but they keep making excuses instead of admitting their software is creating the flaw. Easier to just keep pointing a finger at Autodesk.
                  Agree.

For now, look at the top bar of 3dsmax, it has all the options that quad menu had before. It is not the same but it is there.

Please Chaos, dig a little deeper. There is no problem on having an issue, if you know it will be solved.

Comment

Hello,

Can you check something for me - do you have a file called vrayinstall.txt located here:
                    • For Max < 2022 - in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2021\scripts\Startup (or where your Max is installed)
                    • For Max 2022 and 2023 in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\VRay3ds Max2022\scripts or C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\VRay3ds Max2023\scripts
                    If it is there - can you check if it is read only and if it is - make it writable. Then you can start Max, add the menus you want to the Quad and see if they stay there after restart ?

Best regards,
                    Yavor
                    Yavor Rubenov
                    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
                      Hello,

Can you check something for me - do you have a file called vrayinstall.txt located here:
                      • For Max < 2022 - in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2021\scripts\Startup (or where your Max is installed)
                      • For Max 2022 and 2023 in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\VRay3ds Max2022\scripts or C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\VRay3ds Max2023\scripts
                      If it is there - can you check if it is read only and if it is - make it writable. Then you can start Max, add the menus you want to the Quad and see if they stay there after restart ?

Best regards,
                      Yavor
                      Hello Yavor, just checked. Yes I have that file and it is not read only.

Comment

Strange that it is still there but not read only. Anyways - can you delete it and try the quads again ?
                        Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Strange that it is still there but not read only. Anyways - can you delete it and try the quads again ?
                          It worked over here. The txt file wasn´t fully writeable

Comment

You sir are amazing! Thank you for taking the time to look into this. I deleted the vrayinstall.txt file and it fixed my issue.

Thanks you again so much for helping and not redirecting the problem at something thats not accurate!

Comment

Glad to hear it is working now.

Actually I told my colleague Alexander (hermit.crab) about the other topic and the Autodesk issues so I'm to blame about that redirection
                              And some more details on what is going on:

Adding menu items in Max is a bit complex thing and there is no specific install and uninstall logic for them. So when installing V-Ray we add that temporary vrayinstall.txt file and a startup MAXScript that adds the menus. The script is executed every time Max starts and it checks if vrayinstall.txt exists next to it - if it is there then this is a new install and we have to add menu items etc.
                              In V-Ray 5 we did the following
                              1. Unregister all main menu items and quad menus - to cleanup everything if there were previous versions
                              2. Register all menus and quad menu items again - this will add the ones from the current install
                              3. Delete the vrayinstall.txt so that we know not to do the whole thing again
                              In V-Ray 6 we do almost the same but in step 2 we no longer register quad menu items.

Unfortunately if step 3 fails for some reason - everything is repeated on every Max start.
                              In V-Ray 5 quad menus are added again in step 2 - so the issue goes unnoticed.
                              V-Ray 6 only removes the old quad menus and there is no way to know if the quad menu is there because of some previous V-Ray installation or because the user added it on his own..

We'll have to look for some better way to handle if we fail to delete the vrayinstall.txt file

Sorry again for the inconvenience.
                              Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Glad to hear it is working now.

Actually I told my colleague Alexander (hermit.crab) about the other topic and the Autodesk issues so I'm to blame about that redirection
                                And some more details on what is going on:

Adding menu items in Max is a bit complex thing and there is no specific install and uninstall logic for them. So when installing V-Ray we add that temporary vrayinstall.txt file and a startup MAXScript that adds the menus. The script is executed every time Max starts and it checks if vrayinstall.txt exists next to it - if it is there then this is a new install and we have to add menu items etc.
                                In V-Ray 5 we did the following
                                1. Unregister all main menu items and quad menus - to cleanup everything if there were previous versions
                                2. Register all menus and quad menu items again - this will add the ones from the current install
                                3. Delete the vrayinstall.txt so that we know not to do the whole thing again
                                In V-Ray 6 we do almost the same but in step 2 we no longer register quad menu items.

Unfortunately if step 3 fails for some reason - everything is repeated on every Max start.
                                In V-Ray 5 quad menus are added again in step 2 - so the issue goes unnoticed.
                                V-Ray 6 only removes the old quad menus and there is no way to know if the quad menu is there because of some previous V-Ray installation or because the user added it on his own..

We'll have to look for some better way to handle if we fail to delete the vrayinstall.txt file

Sorry again for the inconvenience.
                                Not a problem at all Yavor,
                                Just glad its all working now, I got so used to right click options for VFB clicking buttons and dropdowns started to slow things down for me lol.
                                Appreciate your time!

Comment

Working...
                                X