Bucket artifact in DR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucket artifact in DR

DR the following scene (max2024) to see the bucket artefact.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sby...ew?usp=sharing

Both host and server are using V-Ray 6.20.03 (Same for Nightlies and Official 6.20.02) + 3dsMax 2024.2.1.

It looks like there is a problem with the GI.
    Adaptive Light is disabled, Adaptivity clamp 100 etc. have no effect.

What is the cause?​

Click image for larger version  Name:	2024-03-13_114636.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.3 KB ID:	1204275
    Last edited by flat; 12-03-2024, 08:24 PM.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
    oakcorp.net
    v-ray.jp

Hi, thanks for posting. The box is overlapping the wall and this is causing buckets.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3dsmax_2024-03-13_11-10-10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	292.6 KB ID:	1204318
    It is a rule of thumb to avoid overlapping faces.
    In this example it is very curious since it one slave is rendering one of the overlapping faces and the other slave is rendering the other.
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Ah, in the case of 2sided (translucent), the overlap of the side that cannot be seen from the camera also has an effect.
      I learned a lot.

Thank you for investigating the cause.

oakcorp.net
      v-ray.jp

Comment

After further review of this issue with our customer, it appears that the issue is with the 3dsMax's OCIO (ACEScg) Color Management and V-Ray Light Temperature color settings in 3dsMax 2024.

Please try DR the attached simple scene. (Make sure to make another machine the DR Slave)

In my environment, the bucket artifact can be seen only once on the Slave machine for the first time DR Render. (Very strange)
        screen capture
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mFv...ew?usp=sharing

It seems that the bucket artifact can be seen every time in the customer's environment.

Attached Files
        Last edited by flat; 14-03-2024, 07:40 PM.

oakcorp.net
        v-ray.jp

Comment

Hi,
          It seems that the bucket artifact can be seen every time in the customer's environment.
          I couldn't reproduce this issue here with your second scene. Ofcource we used a separate slave machine that is on our local network. Ran it multiple times and no buckets.

it appears that the issue is with the 3dsMax's OCIO (ACEScg) Color Management and V-Ray Light Temperature color settings in 3dsMax 2024.
          I can't reproduce this and stopping the ocio color management does not fix the buckets in your oak_sample.max scene (this was the first thing I tried back when I got your first scene).

To recap, your first scene does not cure with any other than fixing the overlapping faces. Your second scene does not reproduce any issues on our setup.

Are you using the latest versions of V-Ray? Check if you have any active environment variables related to ocio workflow and delete them.
          For instance if you have such set up at one machine and not the other this can cause issues.
          Last edited by vladimir_krastev; 15-03-2024, 04:19 AM.
          Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

that's strange. It reproduces 100% in my and my customer's environment.
            There are no environment variables for ocio. I double checked.
            Deleting the 3dsMax Preferences folder (2024 - 64bit) on Server and Slave also has no effect.

I got the DR temporary scene from the following folder on the Slave machine.
            C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2024 - 64bit\ENU\temp

The temporary DR for the first time is 1st_vray_server_scene_20204.max.
            The second time is 2nd_vray_server_scene_20204.max
            (The scene is attached)

To compare, the first time the VFB Display Correction is OCIO (ACES), and the second time it is sRGB.
            Why does the VFB Display Correction change between the first and second times?

Attached Files

oakcorp.net
            v-ray.jp

Comment

Is there anyone other than the Chaos person who can test this?
              I don't know how to find the cause.

oakcorp.net
              v-ray.jp

Comment

Working...
              X