Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

error: [VFBCore::SetRegion] Error writing render region to raw image file.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what was the resolve for this problem?

As i have the same, and my frames are in backburner, and now all i get is the same error and cant move past it.
    Last edited by Rhys; 08-09-2008, 03:32 AM.

Comment

the only other thing i can think of which may be preventing the file from saving both locally and on the network maybe if the files are over 2GB in size and the machines are all 32 bit machines?. Long shot but thought it worth mentioning.

anyway good luck finding the problem

Comment

i noticed that in the folder i was rendering out to that the frame that was crashing already had a file of 8kb obviously a failed save. so deleted it. then it worked fine.

stiill not sure how not to get the error happen. just now know how to continue the render once the error has occured.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhys View Post
          i noticed that in the folder i was rendering out to that the frame that was crashing already had a file of 8kb obviously a failed save. so deleted it. then it worked fine.

stiill not sure how not to get the error happen. just now know how to continue the render once the error has occured.
          well when writing to vrimg or exr, the file is created and 'opened' (so it would show as a really small amount - like 8kb) then the buckets are written in (with vrimg you can actually see the file size increasing as each bucket is completed) then when all buckets are finished the file is 'closed' and the final file size is shown....

so a really small file size is often just a frame that is started but not finished properly...

Comment

Same Issue...

I have just now started DR and saving to .exr formats in a single swoop, and found that I have been getting the same error message on anything over 1200 x 800. I will keep messing around, and see if I can find anything that solves it on my end, and share with you guys if I figure it out.

Comment

Yep, Same issue -

I have no idea what is causing this, but I am having the exact same problem as SV - I get the error message when I try to save out as an exr on DR at higher resolutions. When I run it only on the workstation, without DR, it saves out fine. And it only seems to happen at high resolutions. very strange.

On the plus side, tho, I haven't had an issue saving to vrimg at any size, so good job Vlado for figuring that out for us!

sigh... I guess I will have to actually learn how to use vrimg2exr now... can you tell I am excited about it?

I will play with my network cards and see if anything changes on them, and report said changes. When I have spare time, that is.

Comment

We use the OpenEXR library from ILM for writing .exr files, so if there are any bugs in that we can't really fix them... what kind of resolutions are you rendering to?

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I am trying to render to 5k + size renders.

No big deal, I will just keep working with vrimg files. The vrimg2exr tool was kinda difficult for me to learn at first, but now I am doing quite well with it.

Thanks anyway, Vlado!

Comment

I've the same problem, but it's strange that for other scenes the .exr worked, for the last i'm working on I've changed to vrimg format as vlado suggested.

The only big difference with other scenes is the heaviness.

Comment

I just started playing with writing to .exr so I can use the layer options for render elements. Using B.burner and DR and getting this error, and totally garbled files. Was anything worked out for this or do we need to use vrimg files?

If so, is there any real point? Up to now I have just been writing to .exr and saving all the elements separately. If I have to use vrimg and then convert to exr and split them all out to separate .exr files anyway, why bother? Can vrimg2exr convert to a single layered exr that ProExr can work with in Photoshop?

Thanks
                      b

*EDIT* - so I found that the vrimg2exr tool converts to a layered exr so that works fine and gets around the main issue. So for now the short story is render to vrimg and forget .exr?

Thanks
                      b
                      Last edited by simmsimaging; 22-07-2009, 06:58 PM.
                      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                      e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

We are having the same issues with SP3. I was hoping there would be a kind of workaround in SP3 or SP4, though. VRIMGs are so big and need extra conversion steps.
                        Rendering to EXR is far more convenient, but how can we know when to use EXR or VRIMG?
                        I mean, is it rendering 1K -4K ok for EXR, but higher resolutions need VRIMG?
                        Is it related to the time it takes to render a frame, to filesize, to resolution, to ram being used, to network cards?

Thanks!
                        My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
                        Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
                        Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

Are you doing region renders?

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                            Are you doing region renders?

Best regards,
                            Vlado

No, we aren't. It's just DR through Backburner. It's likely to happen with images over 5.000 pixels. We are currently using a variety of 64 bits machines as rendernodes, and scenes contain the usual stuff, displacements, glossy effects, vrayfur, etc.

We are always using render elements (global illumination, direct light, etc) and rendering straight to EXR. Smaller versions of the same image (2K-3K) render fine, but a 7K one crashes when trying to save the output.

We have tried "render to memory framebuffer" on and off with the same result: "[VFBCore::SetRegion] Error writing render region to raw image file."
                            Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673

Comment

For those who might be interested, the only solution to this problem we have found is to render directly to VRIMG, it works flawlessly everytime, but the price to pay is the increased filesize and the time involved in converting to EXR.

Comment

We've been using Vray versions from the old to the latest, we've just upgraded to Max 2011 64bit, with the new Vray 2. Everything works perfect. Except until I did a back burn last night. none of them Images saved. They were outputted to EXR's, it seems the Images render and then don't save?!?!!?

We've never had this problem before, so why now, I assume it's a software fault? the error is:

"Task error: [V-Ray] [VFB::SETREGION] eRROR WRITING RENDER REGION TO RAW IMAGE FILE" - were not rendering a region area, it's the full Image, I've done the render again today on another computer and the same happened, but only on the 3rd Camera, so it did the other two and mucked up on the third, they don't make no sense! lol. - To summarise, it renders the image, then fooks up and doesn't save it. I havn't tried it saving it to as a VRIMG file, but I don't particually want to since (like panthon) says, it takes ages of screwing about to extract all the VRIMG layers from a VRIMG file. PLEASE HELP

Comment

Working...
                                X