Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exterior Animation -Day Time- Moving Objects and Camera - In the shadows...NOT GREAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Animation -Day Time- Moving Objects and Camera - In the shadows...NOT GREAT

Hi Everyone, I'm on the third animation walk through at the company I work for, it's all been an interesting learning curve!

I've just rendered off the first pass of it, (I finally hooked up 30 machines from around the office as everyone has received upgrades) So I can render this baby out in less than two days! (Averaged 15-20 mins a frame).

I've uploaded a snipit to YouTube (I've zoomed in to hide the current location, I'll show it in full once it's publicly available), to try and explain the problem I'm getting. in the day light everything looks fine, but in the shadows everything is a bit blotchy and sometimes flickering, I assume it's because of my render settings? Below is the process I use, if anyone can point out the problem I would very much appreciate it!

Cheers...

Render settings - I've done this in a few attachments to show the stages I needed to do it, I started off by rendering the Light Cache as the first Stage, then in the second I rendered the IM using the "PRE-PASS" for each frame, and in the third stage I use the IM and LC file's to back burner the entire animation. Am I using the wrong method for this type of animation?

P.S. I HATE THE 3D PEOPLE, if anyone has a better solution please, i'm all open for idea's, I've learned of "Autodesk 3dsMax Project Geppetto", but i'm not sure if it's usable for commercial projects yet?

ANIMATION SAMPLE: - http://youtu.be/1LJcc1Cy3Y4

Stage 001 -

Click image for larger version

Name:	STAGE 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	873600

Stage 002 -

Name:	STAGE 02.jpg
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	873599

Stage 003 -

Name:	STAGE 03.jpg
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	873601
    Last edited by JOAN_LORD; 01-12-2011, 03:39 AM.

Also just a after thought, but can you apply a 3x3x3 modifier to a Proxy and animate it? as in apply after it's a Proxy, not before? I was thinking of making the tree's slightly wave to show a bit more movement and realism?

Comment

No - if you put a modifier on the proxy what happens is it makes it into a max object that you can modify, but you only get the polygons that are visible in the viewport. You've got to animate the tree and save it as an animated vrmesh file.

Comment

Yea I figured that might be the case, can I over-right the existing tree proxy file or will that cause problems?

Comment

You certainly can and all of your proxy objects in your scene will remap to it. They might not have animation options enabled though so you might have to do a tiny bit of adjustment afterwards.

Comment

without going into detail about your setup, what I would recommend is to render your camera move without 3d people in it using conventional fly through techniques, and then render the people using brute force with the environment hiddent but contributing to gi, this should solve your flickering issues.
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Thanks, I've heard about this before, if you've got a moment I would really like to hear more on setting this up. I can do the first bit fine, Light Cache for both first and second pass, then increment add to map for the second stage right?

but compositing people in a second pass is alien to me, and info would very much be appreciated!

Cheers

Comment

I've found out about Anima, by Axyz, looks very interesting, I have done some test's with the demo and it works a treat, I can also convert the files in to Proxies to save Max Mem, The problem now is deciding do I render the entire thing in one go or do a composite of people and background, I went over this tutorial: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...rials_anim.htm and it looks like this is fine for small amount of people, but I want to populate my scene with dozens of people, some walking, standing and sitting. and now I have a decent size render farm I think it would be easier to do it one pass, so can anyone suggest settings that would make this a flicker free stable animation? regardless of render time.

Cheers!

Comment

As morbid mentioned you're better off doing the entire thing in two passes and comping. What you'd do is as follows:

1. Put all of your people on to one layer so you can turn them on / off easily and select them. Turn them off for now.
                  2. Render a frame of your main scene with irmap and lc both set to single frame and with "use camera path" turned on, and make sure your irmap and lc map are saved to disk. Render the scene using these two and you should get a totally flicker free result.
                  3. Now select your entire static scene and use the vray properties to turn it into matte objects with alpha contribution -1, and make sure you turn on affect alpha and shadows.
                  4. Unhide your people layer, and change your GI options to brute force for primary, and light cache in single frame mode with "Use camera path" turned OFF. Make sure that the light cache isn't loading your static scene cache from disk either
                  5. Render the people pass to a format with alpha.
                  6. Comp the people over the background in whatever comper you choose.

That's the guts of it - now it's not quite as simple as that for example you'll have to deal with two shadows overlaying each other and so on but it's the rough way to do it.

Comment

or, the method i use, since im compositing phobic

1. hide people, calculate static flythrough imap (and lightcache, youll need both files.) for scene, make sure you have AO on, as youll need it later.
                    2. unhide people, and either manually or with a script, turn off "use irradiance map" in the materials of the people. - they will now be lit with brute force gi when you render. -the subdivs of which will be taken oddly, from your imap hsph subdivs setting, which you are free to adjust now, as your imap is already saved.

3. render using the saved imap and lightcache. - the scene will use the stored imap, the people with have perframe brute force gi, based on the stored lightcache for the scene, and the ambient occlusion will deal with the lack of gi contact shadows between people and scene.

i seem to be the only person who uses this method, but it works flawlessly and avoids any comping issues.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
                      or, the method i use, since im compositing phobic

1. hide people, calculate static flythrough imap (and lightcache, youll need both files.) for scene, make sure you have AO on, as youll need it later.
                      2. unhide people, and either manually or with a script, turn off "use irradiance map" in the materials of the people. - they will now be lit with brute force gi when you render. -the subdivs of which will be taken oddly, from your imap hsph subdivs setting, which you are free to adjust now, as your imap is already saved.

3. render using the saved imap and lightcache. - the scene will use the stored imap, the people with have perframe brute force gi, based on the stored lightcache for the scene, and the ambient occlusion will deal with the lack of gi contact shadows between people and scene.

i seem to be the only person who uses this method, but it works flawlessly and avoids any comping issues.
                      I'll have to test this, as we usually have to bf a pass for people (and that ain't purdy!)

Comment

It seems you are rendering with brute force by turning off use irradiance maps for the people. I normally do the same thing when blending moving objects into cached static scenes except I render a separate shadow pass which is only the direct shadows and a vray dirt put into an extra tex so the compositor has independant control over the level and colour of each shadow. Scene states in max 2012 should help with this.

Comment

yes, thats exactly what it does.. to be honest i think this is one of the more powerful features of vray.. allowing you to mix gi engines in a single scene, but it seems not many people use it.. should be in the spot 3d files as a method i recon, its certainly the simplest way to add small moving elements to a static gi solution..

Comment

The only issue with any of this type of thing is the doubling up of shadows in the comp after - totally fine if you're doing wide open areas but in the original video linked you'd get a multiplication of the shadows which'll require a spot of comp trickery.

Comment

yes but the method im suggesting doesnt require compositing at all.. you simply render the scene in a single pass, the people have dynamic gi, the scene has static. thats the main advantage actually.. no comping headaches.

Comment

Working...
                              X