No announcement yet.

Max Depth setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, so the result of this is that the Global Max Depth setting doesn't really mean "maximum possible depth" - it actually forces everything to use the specified value. Is that right? In that case it should really be just called "Global Depth Override".

Is this correct?
    Alex York
    Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Alex - Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
        Alex - Correct.
        Thanks mate. I think we could start some kind of Sticky thread with these things noted down. I'm going to start collecting your posts in a handy file, I think...! Running through your DMC thread now. Extremely useful, thanks.
        Alex York
        www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

I'm a bit paranoid about it yet, there's still a few bits like dof and motion blur that I'd like to talk to the chaos guys about more to make sure I'm not misleading anyone. The nice thing is the approach is in some ways procedural, so it'd be possible to script a lot of it. Vlado's talking about some extra sample information passes too which'll make things even clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by alexyork View Post
            Right, so the result of this is that the Global Max Depth setting doesn't really mean "maximum possible depth" - it actually forces everything to use the specified value. Is that right? In that case it should really be just called "Global Depth Override".

Is this correct?
            Yes - this is correct, and it is written in our help documentation - but for some reason most of the people think that this option clamps depth value not that it overrides them.

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/200R...s_switches.htm

Max depth - enables the user to limit globally the reflection/refraction depth. When this is unchecked, the depth is controlled locally by the materials/maps. When this option is checked, all materials and maps use the depth specified here.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

I think it's the naming of the feature Svetlozar - "Max" depth would seem to indicate setting a limit of the maximum ray depth can go to, Something like "ray depth override" might make more sense when read as a parameter in the vray ui?

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                I think it's the naming of the feature Svetlozar - "Max" depth would seem to indicate setting a limit of the maximum ray depth can go to, Something like "ray depth override" might make more sense when read as a parameter in the vray ui?
                Absolutely. It's clear in the manual but the naming of this tool within Vray itself leads to confusion, as can be seen! I think it should be renamed.
                Alex York
                www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by alexyork View Post
                  Absolutely. It's clear in the manual but the naming of this tool within Vray itself leads to confusion, as can be seen! I think it should be renamed.
                  Definitely. I couldn't agree more.

Comment

sorry I feel like I'm nit picking but this topic has been quite interesting to me

"enables the user to limit globally the reflection/refraction depth"

limit - "a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass"
                    but the option is more of a hard set number.

I think that first line in the manual about max depth needs a bit of massaging to help better understand the option. Possibly, "enables the user to set a global reflection/refraction depth"
                    Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

I agree it needs a change. I had no idea that it set the minumum as well as maximum until reading this thread. I think just removing the word "max" would help clarify that issue a lot.
                      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                      e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
                        sorry I feel like I'm nit picking but this topic has been quite interesting to me

"enables the user to limit globally the reflection/refraction depth"

limit - "a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass"
                        but the option is more of a hard set number.

I think that first line in the manual about max depth needs a bit of massaging to help better understand the option. Possibly, "enables the user to set a global reflection/refraction depth"
                        totally agree, for me is the word "limit" that drove us on the wrong way
                        Alessandro

Comment

Thank you very much for your feedback guys.
                          I'll inform our Devs Team about your request.

Comment

Hello guys,

I just want to inform you that "Max Depth" parameter name is changed to "Override Depth".
                            Thank you very much for your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
                              Hello guys,

I just want to inform you that "Max Depth" parameter name is changed to "Override Depth".
                              Brilliant as always. Frankly this is why we've moved over from MR to VRay. Issues like this get fixed so quickly.
                              Alex York
                              www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
                                Hello guys,

Hi,
                                And it is possible to have a global "clamp depth" please ? (i am on Maya)
                                Like :
                                - reflection clamp depth
                                - refraction clamp depth

?

Thanks
                                www.deex.info

Comment

Working...
                                X