No announcement yet.

Please fix jaggies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its the intensity of the pixel/ray. You can check the pixels intensity in the VFB. In example if you set a light Multiplier to 30 and you render that light you will get intensity value of 30 for the pixels in the light itself and if you set Max ray intensity to 15 the GI, Reflection and Refraction rays generated from that light will be cut to 15. So no mater how high you set your light multiplier, Max Ray Intensity will cut its GI, Reflection and Refraction rays to 15. I hope this helps.
    Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by Zdravko.Keremidchiev View Post
      Its the intensity of the pixel/ray. You can check the pixels intensity in the VFB. In example if you set a light Multiplier to 30 and you render that light you will get intensity value of 30 for the pixels in the light itself and if you set Max ray intensity to 15 the GI, Reflection and Refraction rays generated from that light will be cut to 15. So no mater how high you set your light multiplier, Max Ray Intensity will cut its GI, Reflection and Refraction rays to 15. I hope this helps.
      Hello,

Thanks for these additional informations, that definitely helps !
      A last question, to be sure I understand: now if my lights intensity is, let's say, 10. Setting Max Ray Intensity to 20 won't have any impact, right ? since the "cutting" value is above the initial value ... so I should set Max Ray Intensity to 5 for example to get it working, no ?
      Again, please excuse my insistance about understanding ... we regularly face the jaggies problem on high intensity reflections / hightlights, and I'd really like to know how to efficiently get rid of this.

Big thanks again
      Nicolas Caplat
      www.intangibles.fr

Comment

The only thing that changes for me when I reduce the value dramatically is the scene gets darker, but the jagged reflection remains. I tried reducing the amount to half of the light that is causing the problems, but nothing changes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jaggies.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	863763

Comment

Hello!

I did some quick tests here. I guess the jaggies are just the result from trying to fit the bright pixels of the hightlight next to the darker pixels where the highlight dims. Using larger resolution will produce better result because there will be more pixels inbetween for interpolation. Another solution is to change the BRDF type in the material setting and see what comes out. Here's how it looks in my tests.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BRDF_jaggies.png
Views:	1
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	863771

They say Ward is best for metal surfaces and the results confirm it in this case. Was this helpful for you?

Best regards,
          Margarita
          Margarita Stoeva | chaos.com ​
          Chaos QA (V-Ray for 3ds Max)

Comment

now if my lights intensity is, let's say, 10. Setting Max Ray Intensity to 20 won't have any impact, right ?
            that is correct

but the jagged reflection remains
            if the Max ray intensity doesn't help you can use use Clamp output and sub-pixel mapping with clamp value of 4/5 in example. On another hand if you want to fully preserve the dynamic range you can use lens effects (this is how bright areas are smoothed in real photography). Also another option will be to check which light generates this bright highlight, disable it s reflections, create a second identical light which affects only the reflections and decrease its intensity.
            Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks to both Margarita and Zdravko for the additional tests / informations
              Nicolas Caplat
              www.intangibles.fr

Comment

I'm still experiencing those jagged edges on metals and other highlight producing materials that I can't seem to get rid of with default settings. Will there be a fix for this in the future?
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by etown View Post
                  I'm still experiencing those jagged edges on metals and other highlight producing materials that I can't seem to get rid of with default settings. Will there be a fix for this in the future?
                  You have to raise your image filter to something high. Lanczos can be softer with higher values. It will smooth out the highlite for you.
                  Dmitry Vinnik
                  Silhouette Images Inc.
                  ShowReel:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                  https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Have you tried to add a little bit of Lens Effect just enought to smooth out the jagges?
                    It Is a really good approach to solve such issues.
                    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

I would rather not have to add a glow effect to all my metal edges since that would look unnatural. I tried upping the Lanczos filter, but then everything in the render becomes blurry so that won't work. It would be nice if there was a solution to this is the future.

Comment

My suggestion was to add as less Lens Effects as possible, just 1 or 2 rows of pixels round the jagged ones. This will not look like a Lens Effects al all, with proper settings it will only smooth out the jaggies and nothing else. The same thing will also happen in nature, every extreme intense reflection is blurred more or less.
                        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

@etown
                          you say you can't just clamp the output becouse you use exrs but do you need hdr renders? and if you do than how does your tonemapping look like in post?
                          Marcin Piotrowski
                          youtube

Comment

Guys if you are going to start pixel-peeping like this you need to:

1) Understand how those jagged edges are caused in the first place. Read up on how antialiasing filters actually work, and how float values translate to sRGB.
                            2) Look at how a real camera deals with very bright highlights (tip: it's glare, as suggested in this thread) and just how soft focus can be when you're zoomed into 1600%.

If you are unwilling to use glare/bloom or similar, you will have jagged edges on very bright highlights UNLESS you clamp the output. If you are after 100% photorealism; use glare.
                            Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

thats what I'm trying to say. impossible to cheat math when displaying hdr renders on 8bit display. if other engines are working for you this is what is being done - clamping or tonemapping.
                              Marcin Piotrowski
                              youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
                                Guys if you are going to start pixel-peeping like this you need to:

1) Understand how those jagged edges are caused in the first place. Read up on how antialiasing filters actually work, and how float values translate to sRGB.
                                I don't think that's a very helpful tone - one of the things I adore about this forum is the helpful-ness of others. The last thing I want to be told to do is 'go and read up......' (we do !) - but sometimes, some things are better explained through a to-ing and fro-ing forum dialogue until it's understood.
                                Jez

------------------------------------
                                3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                                Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                                ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Working...
                                X