Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RenderMask script no longer working with Vray Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
    It does if you don't have any vraybitmaps present in the scene. That's where it fails and crashes your viewport (well it does for me at least).
    Can you share one such case file?
    I've gone through the script again, it seems it had been updated to use vrayMtl and vrayLightmtl and there is no explicit use of max bitmap loaders or analogous.
    The default mode of operation works for me (luminance mask for selected objects.), regardless of what shader is applied to the node (with vraybitmap as well.).

EDIT: two things are "broken":
    a) the script doesn't change render mode (it didn't know progressive existed, it expected bucket as a default.), so the mask AA is whatever was set before the script started.
    b) the lightMtl is applied as single-sided, meaning masks for complex geometry show black holes.
    I'd assume the two above could be fixable, but the code is all but straightforward, with many repetitions across the script (read: fear of breaking it in multiple places by making a minute change.).
    Last edited by ^Lele^; 26-09-2022, 01:42 AM.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
      Can you share one such case file?
      I've gone through the script again, it seems it had been updated to use vrayMtl and vrayLightmtl and there is no explicit use of max bitmap loaders or analogous.
      The default mode of operation works for me (luminance mask for selected objects.), regardless of what shader is applied to the node (with vraybitmap as well.).
      Sure can, but it'll have to wait a day or a few.
      James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
      Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

No rush. I asked as it started working for me, at least in the default mode.
        Lele
        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I think something fishy is going on. I have a hunch that perhaps something to do with vray6 and/or max 2023 has broken this script as well as another script I use that generates multimattes.

This is it: https://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/s...automultimatte
          In my last two renders it has missed a lot of materials and this script has always been perfectly dependable up until I upgraded to max 2023.2 and vray 6 (HF 2)

Comment

From what i can tell, in the simplest of cases the script doesn't do much more than reassign materials, turn off lights, and render with the standard max commands.
            It's difficult for me to imagine what could go so very wrong for such simple a set of operations.
            If/when you have scenes that exhibit bad behaviour, i'd be glad to be able to take a look.
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Absolutely. Now that this second script has broken it's a much more urgent problem so I'll definitely take you up on that offer of help. Will get back to you as soon as possible

Comment

Hello!

I got a second to try some tests.

So forget my suspicions regarding the second broken script I listed above. That was human error on my part.

As for rendermask it does work for me using both 2023.2 and 2021 with the latest official vray release.
                What doesn't work however is trying to generate masks for forestpack objects for whatever reason. It has worked in the past (read: pre vray 5/max 2021).
                edit: If I recall correctly, one must uncheck auto-assign materials in the forest pack for it to function correctly.

So I don't know what has changed, but I had given up on this script when it would crash my viewport if I tried to mask anything that employed a vraybitmap. Very strange stuff.
                I have upgraded my gpu but...could that really be the issue? Surely not...

So all in all it seems like we've managed to waste quite a lot of your time Lele. Sorry about that
                Last edited by Pixelcon; 26-09-2022, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Ah, no wasted time at all!
                  You upgraded the GPU but you were rendering with CPU, am i right?
                  Reading the script code, it *assumes* the renderer is CPU, and i'd guess it'd fail trying to change the settings if the renderer would be GPU, but I have not tried it at all with the GPU engine.
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

I am rendering with CPU but the issue I was having previously was that the script crashed my viewports and required a complete restart of max. I was pondering if perhaps a new and more capable GPU could be dealing with whatever operation the scripts was doing that caused the problem.
                    Last edited by Pixelcon; 26-09-2022, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Gotcha, thank you!
                      Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                      X