vray materials by default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray materials by default

It will be very cool if all materials was Vray material by default when there is Vray render checked.
    What users think of that?
    =:-/
    Laurent

Hey,

I think that is a great idea! I know I use Vray materials the vast majority of the time when Vray is the chosen renderer so this would be a really nice wishlist item that I am sure alot of Vray users would like to see happen!

rpc212
    rpc212
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

You can do that yourself by creating a new Defaults scheme for 3dsmax.

For example, copy the maxroot\defaults\MAX folder into \maxroot\defaults\MAX.vray folder; then in the material editor, fill all the 24 sample slots with default VRay materials, and save the material editor as \maxroot\defaults\MAX.vray\medit.mat.

Optionally, edit the \maxroot\defaults\MAX.vray\CurrentDefaults.ini file to specify VRay as the default renderer by replacing the lines
      Code:
      DefaultProdRenderer=1 0
      DefaultDraftRenderer=1 0
      DefaultIReshadeRenderer=1 0
      DefaultMEditRenderer=1 0
      DefaultMEditRendererLocked=1
      with
      Code:
      DefaultProdRenderer=0x73bab286 0x77f8fd0c
      DefaultDraftRenderer=0x73bab286 0x77f8fd0c
      DefaultIReshadeRenderer=1 0
      DefaultMEditRenderer=0x73bab286 0x77f8fd0c
      DefaultMEditRendererLocked=1
      You can also specify that the default shadow type should be VRayShadow by replacing the lines
      Code:
      [30 1011 0]
      castShadows=0
      useGlobalShadowSettings=0
      ; Shadow Map
      ShadowGenerator=0x100 0
      with
      Code:
      [30 1011 0]
      castShadows=0
      useGlobalShadowSettings=0
      ; Shadow Map
      ; ShadowGenerator=0x100 0
      ShadowGenerator=0x1daee05f 0x74b2d60f
      You can also make other changes, as you wish. Then, start 3dsmax and from Customize > Custom UI and Defaults Switcher choose the Max.vray configuration. Restart 3dsmax.

Now VRay will be your renderer by default when you start 3dsmax, and the material editor will contain the 24 VRay materials by default. Also, the standard lights will have vray shadows by default when they are created.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

for example, for example...
        thanks Vlado but I think that I'm not alone, no I hope that I'm not alone and who don't know this kind of think but thanks.
        there is an easy way to put Vray as default render in max.
        Laurent

Comment

no i don't want any plugin to mess up my default settings, thank you.
          vlado's solution seems quite easy to me.
          for the lazy it could be easily scripted into a one-click solution, but actually i don't think that there is high demand.
          Marc Lorenz
          ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
          www.marclorenz.com
          www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

hey Plastic you are too drastic for me!
            It will change your default settings only when Vray is checked!
            It's strange if you use more standard material than Vraymtl in Vray mode.
            This solution is of course easy to do, I had just pointed my finger on the fact that for Vlado it is very easy to make this line
            Laurent

Comment

Thanks Vlado that is awesome! Just what I have been wanting since I got Vray! Now no more time wasting filling all those 24 slots with Vray Mats.

Thanks again,

rpc212
              rpc212

"DR or Die!"

Comment

my max start file has all my needed settings as well as having all the nice clean vray materials setup as well as having the last 4 materials set to my most used materials

---------------------------------------------------
                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

cheers for the tips vlado,very useful

Comment

vlado-

I tried this but couldn't get it to work. When I went into the maxroot\defaults folder, I didn't see a MAX.vray folder. So I created one and then did the rest of the steps that you detailed. When I reopen Max, it still opens up with standard materials as the default. I'm guessing Max isn't looking into my "MAX.vray" folder when it loads. How do I do that?

I saved out a maxstart.max file into my scenes folder as well and that works with keeping my rendering settings. I'm just trying to get the materials and lighting/shadows part to work.

thanks

Comment

Did you read the first part of his post??

For example, copy the maxroot\defaults\MAX folder into \maxroot\defaults\MAX.vray folder; then in the material editor, fill all the 24 sample slots with default VRay materials, and save the material editor as \maxroot\defaults\MAX.vray\medit.mat.

Comment

A little late on this - but it's come in very handy and saves alot of time. I'm so glad to not have to click so many settings every time...

One question - is there a way to set multi-submats to pull in vraymats as well?
                        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Good question juju. I would be very interested in multi subs defaulting to Vray Mats too!
                          rpc212

"DR or Die!"

Comment

I prepared a very simple script that with one click sets the renderer and all materials in "VRay mode".
                            It also creates with one click a multi-sub with 50 Vray materials in it @ slot 1 of the material editor.

While not saving the settings as defaults (so to take no responsibility for any trouble...) it's quick enough to be used as a switcher in day-by-day production.

Just put it into your \scripts\startup folder.

http://www.studiodim.it/_download/vrswitcher.ms

More functions could be added or changed as per requests.

Lele

Comment

Thats pretty handy!!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X