vray materials by default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBullo
    Has anyone been able to get this to work with Viz2007 and RC3?
    I get the following error

--Type error:Call needs function or class,got: undefined
    I'm getting the same error with Max 7.0 and VRay 1.50 (edu version)

Ayoola

Comment

studioDIM

Your script file produces an exception error which seem to correspond to the following line in the script file:

"renderers.current=cr()"

As stated in the earlier post, I'm running Max 7.0 and VRay 1.50 (edu version).

Comment

Deleating the statement "renderers.current=cr()" allowed the scipt to work. Not sure if this is adaquate as it may have deminished the robustness of the script but it does works for me.

Could a spinner be added to control the number of subMats created? 50 subMats seems like an awful lot. I know I can change the script to the desired value but it would be helpful to not have to edit and save the file.

I have lots of 3DMax in sceens I've experimented with in the past and would perfer to switch them to VRay material for faster rendering. If I use this script, all my max material settins are lost. Is there a way to convert these material to VRay and preserve the already assigned texture maps or shader colors?

Ayoola

Comment

Originally posted by Ayoola_Elliott
          Deleating the statement "renderers.current=cr()" allowed the scipt to work. Not sure if this is adaquate as it may have deminished the robustness of the script but it does works for me.

Ayoola
          I believe it is just trying to set V-Ray as the renderer, so you are not loosing much functionality. If you want to fix it right I'd guess that if you searched and found somewhere that said "vray" and changed it to "v-ray" it should do it.
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

RErender

Changing the string to "V-Ray" does not help. The error still occurs. According to the error message, it seems the Render Type is being assigned as an "undefined". I'm not very familar with Maxscript but could the problem be related to statement below?

if (findString t_rs[i] "vray") != undefined do(
            global cr = RendererClass.classes[i]
            )

Ayoola[/b]

Comment

My bad, it's "V_Ray" not "v-ray"

You might try "V_Ra" but it's hard to troubleshoot code I have not seen .

If get a chance I will look at it or hopefully Lele will be back from vacation soon and fix his own script :P
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
                My bad, it's "V_Ray" not "v-ray"

You might try "V_Ra" but it's hard to troubleshoot code I have not seen .

If get a chance I will look at it or hopefully Lele will be back from vacation soon and fix his own script :P
                RErender

"V_Ray" worked. Thanks for the help.

Ayoola

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
                  You can do that yourself by creating a new Defaults scheme for 3dsmax.

For example, copy the maxroot\defaults\MAX folder into \maxroot\defaults\MAX.vray folder; then in the material editor, fill all the 24 sample slots with default VRay materials, and save the material editor as \maxroot\defaults\MAX.vray\medit.mat.

Optionally, edit the \maxroot\defaults\MAX.vray\CurrentDefaults.ini file to specify VRay as the default renderer by replacing the lines
                  Code:
                  DefaultProdRenderer=1 0
                  DefaultDraftRenderer=1 0
                  DefaultIReshadeRenderer=1 0
                  DefaultMEditRenderer=1 0
                  DefaultMEditRendererLocked=1
                  with
                  Code:
                  DefaultProdRenderer=0x73bab286 0x77f8fd0c
                  DefaultDraftRenderer=0x73bab286 0x77f8fd0c
                  DefaultIReshadeRenderer=1 0
                  DefaultMEditRenderer=0x73bab286 0x77f8fd0c
                  DefaultMEditRendererLocked=1
                  You can also specify that the default shadow type should be VRayShadow by replacing the lines
                  Code:
                  [30 1011 0]
                  castShadows=0
                  useGlobalShadowSettings=0
                  ; Shadow Map
                  ShadowGenerator=0x100 0
                  with
                  Code:
                  [30 1011 0]
                  castShadows=0
                  useGlobalShadowSettings=0
                  ; Shadow Map
                  ; ShadowGenerator=0x100 0
                  ShadowGenerator=0x1daee05f 0x74b2d60f
                  You can also make other changes, as you wish. Then, start 3dsmax and from Customize > Custom UI and Defaults Switcher choose the Max.vray configuration. Restart 3dsmax.

Now VRay will be your renderer by default when you start 3dsmax, and the material editor will contain the 24 VRay materials by default. Also, the standard lights will have vray shadows by default when they are created.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Ok so I've finally got round to installing max9, but can't seem to get this to work (the .ini file edits). any one have any ideas why??

Comment

Ok so i'm guessing this .ini edit doesn't work in max9, i've tried it god knows how many times .
                    The question is then, how are you guys going about setting Vray as the default renderer???

Comment

http://www.scriptspot.com/Lele/vrswitcher.ms

Put it in your scripts/startup folder under the max root.
                      It will switch to vray, and change all materials to vray ones, at the press of a button.
                      Hardly ideal, but i use it everyday and has become second nature to me.
                      Lele
                      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                      ----------------------
                      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Nice one Lele! I owe you for that!
                        I got so used to having Vray as the default renderer in max7, using the above .ini edit!
                        I did try the script you had posted earlier in the thread but that didnt work(im guessing that was a max9 issue as well!)

Cheers for that chap!

Comment

I tried to do this without the script...just by setting a new default called Max.vray. I save out my material editor to the medit.mat file in the Max.vray folder, but no matter what when I open Max it always has standard materials in the editor.

I am using Max2008 and Vray 1.50.SP1

Anyone get this to work with this software?

Comment

for me its the other way around i've got the material editor working with standard Vray mats but the renderer still loads the scanline renderer as default. is there mabey an update for max2008/2009?

Thanx,

Comment

For SP2 there is a new preset, in the Customize - Custom UI and Defaults Switcher - MAX.vray

Sets Max to a VRay preset, works quite nicely.

Comment

Is there a way (possibly in the .ini) to make all the material editor slots have the background on by default?

Comment

Working...
                                X