Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayExtraTextures for Compositing Masks

Hi,

at the moment the masking features support: Crypto, Integer and Color Masks.
    I would propose adding ExtraTextures as well as those can often be used to mask out certain parts:
    For example you have a head and want to adjust the color of the lips. Since the lips are not a separate object or separate shader you would normally create a simple mask in PS that just masks out the lips with a soft falloff on the edges.
    Would be awesome if VFB Composite could use these ExtraTex for Colorcorrections in VFB Composite.
    Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Can you not do that with multimattes, already?
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hi,

afaik it's not possible as Multimattes seem to have a bug when using MatID's as mentioned in this toppic
      Even if it would be working you would need to pointlessly split up your shader into a BlendMaterial to mask out different parts even all of them use the same shader.

So my example is that you have for example a head model and you want to mask out the lips with as smooth selection on the edges. Lips and head would be one model and one shader, so you can't separate it by MaterialID.
      You could throw the same shader 2x in a blend material and blend the lips on top of the rest with a mask and give the then lips shader a different ID. However as mentioned the BlendMaterial only accepts either 0 or 1 at the moment, there are no gradient falloffs between different ID's. In case of the lips you would get a super sharp outline then making it impossible to make any meaningful colorcorrections without noticing a seem.

I know it's specific usecase, but I just ran into this. My point is: If could also use ExtraTextures as Masks it would kind of go around the parts which are not working at the moment. ExtraTextures can create useful masks and I think it would be a good idea to also allow them to be used as such
      Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Comment

Oh, that's a nasty one: it makes using MMs with materials fairly pointless (in that there are other ways to get a non-blended ID out.).
        Regardless, you're right, arbitrary masks would make a lot of sense once one thinks of the VFB as a compositing tool.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
        X