No announcement yet.

Flares and glows from lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing about physical accuracy is to what extents does it support different lenses? Still and film camera? 35mm, 70mm or anamorphic? One type of physical lens is useless if it isn't the type you're trying to match. I'd presume that Thorsten is doing it by eye in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell
      The only thing about physical accuracy is to what extents does it support different lenses? Still and film camera? 35mm, 70mm or anamorphic? One type of physical lens is useless if it isn't the type you're trying to match. I'd presume that Thorsten is doing it by eye in this case.
      I would think it should work in conjunction with the physcam, modeling according to the camera settings.
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Just that the look of the flare is caused by the quality of the lens and the amount and shape of elements which is something the physical camera doesn't do. Maxwell does model stuff like the internal glass in the lens but if you think of the thousands of lenses available I still reckon you'd need to use a third party lens flare generator for effects work. don't get me wrong something like this could be very very useful, in fact arnold had it years ago - it was in use by a company that did a lot of stage lighting so they requested the flare and glow feature but that said they weren't trying to match it to other lens flares in film footage for example.

Comment

Interesting although the math is way over my head.

Just out of curiousity - how else are you guys/gals handling these flares in an application such as Photoshop?
          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Knoll light is the standard - you can get it to place a flare using alpha as location and rgb as colour so if you render a matte pass using only your light objects it'll do the rest - in after effects it'll track them too and flare up / down as they get occluded. Still not perfect but the best we have.

Comment

Originally posted by natty
              This would be a great feature for us, especially if it could be done in the vray Frame buffer in post and fully adjustable..
              Frame buffer sidenote - is the "Reinhard" mapping at the wish list for the frame buffer?
              www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

All of these effects are MUCH better done and controlled as a post effect. I would HIGHLY recommend against ever attempting to do this in 3d. With proper HDR output, you can do some great lense effects. Like this thread shows you:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...hlight=hyundai

Comment

thats the one i was refering to. the dancing robots

---------------------------------------------------
                  MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                  stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by cpnichols
                    All of these effects are MUCH better done and controlled as a post effect. I would HIGHLY recommend against ever attempting to do this in 3d. With proper HDR output, you can do some great lense effects. Like this thread shows you:

Why? If you could get basic glows and flares automatically, how would that be a bad thing? If you want to do it by hand fine turn them off, but for many of us it would be just fine.
                    Eric Boer
                    Dev

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
                      Originally posted by cpnichols

Why? If you could get basic glows and flares automatically, how would that be a bad thing? If you want to do it by hand fine turn them off, but for many of us it would be just fine.
                      exactly. Nobody is arguing it would be best if it was embedded into the render. But if the 3d camera could 'correctly' replicate the effect, then I'm sure adding it as a render element would be the easy part.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
                        Originally posted by RErender

exactly. Nobody is arguing it would be best if it was embedded into the render. But if the 3d camera could 'correctly' replicate the effect, then I'm sure adding it as a render element would be the easy part.
                        Think about what it would take to do it in 3d... You would need to replicate full volumetric effects. Do a full 3d chromatic aberration on a lens which you would have to reconstruct.... the render times would be insane. The tools that have been developed for years to replicate these effects in 2D work amazingly well, and very fast.

Comment

So to paraphrase what Chris is saying - it would be a decent amount of work to recreate and render times would probably be ugly. I guess ultimately that's for Vlado & Peter to answer.
                          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

In the paper cited all you really need to know is where the brightest spots are, occluding objects and the lens model. Why would You would need to replicate full volumetric effects?
                            Eric Boer
                            Dev

Comment

The paper outlines a realtime model I thought. I'm thinking its strictly 'lens effect' no volumetrics really needed?

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

ok its time i put an end to this flood:
                                Chris, maxwell has this effect as a post applied to an image. It doesnt take an enormous time. I agree that, in production where you have some pro compositors who can spend some time to develop the glares, its great. However, my self as being not a big fan of compositing (for personal reasons) I do not have knowledge and time to spend trying to figure out how to do the good looking glare in post. So, hance the wish that, those who do small work in small production environment, I would wish to have such option avalable and usable. I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it at all.
                                And as the guys mentioned, the math is all done already, all they have to do is plug it to vray. However, having said that, this may not be what chaos group is aiming for. As there is in the wish thread of vray development there has been no posting of this what so ever.
                                Happy new year all!
                                Dmitry Vinnik
                                Silhouette Images Inc.
                                ShowReel:
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                                https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Working...
                                X