VrayNormals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayNormals

Is it possible to make the VrayNormals render element support bump and normal maps on shaders. We are currently using this render element to do re-lighting and light tweaks in comp. There is a scanline render element that supports it, so I'm assuming it can be done. Maybe a radio button in the elements dialog to toggle it on and off would be the way to go.
    Drew Wood-Davies
    Head Of Lighting & Look-Development | Method Studios | Melbourne, Australia

Yep, it may be possible to do it, although if you have several layered materials with different bump maps, this is not going to be quite exact.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I think that would be ok, as long as it worked for one map.
      Drew Wood-Davies

Comment

Hey Vlado,

Any progress on this request, using normals for post relighting and reflections is staring to become an intergral part of our pipeline, purely for speed purposes. I've had a couple more ideas on ways to improve the existing VrayNormals render element:

1. Option to include bump mapping in the normal map. (there is a scanline version out there that does it.

2. Channel Direction: Flip Red (X), Flip Green (Y), Swap Red & Green.

Cheers,

Drew
        Drew Wood-Davies

Comment

There is already a VRayBumpNormals element in the next builds, which includes bump mapping. Not sure about the flip/swapping options though - isn't the normal map loader supposed to have such options?

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado,

Cool, that is going to be a very handy feature, and yes the normal mapping in max allows you to flip X&Y, however we are trying to do it in post, and there are no plugins for our compisiting application to support such an operation.

Cheers,

Drew
            Drew Wood-Davies

Comment

Working...
            X