Geometry paintable SSS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geometry paintable SSS

Just a thought. I was inspired when I looked at my cat this morning and noticed the SSS in his ears.

Would it be possible to paint SSS areas, sort of like vertex paints? Example: You have a mesh of a cat. You apply a "SSSpaint" modifier to the object, and paint the ears of the cat. This way the renderer knows that it only needs to compute SSS for the painted areas, and not the entire cat!

Or is there another way to control this already?

John Pruden
    Digital-X
    John Pruden
    Digital-X

www.digitalxmodels.com
    3D Model Marketplace

You can always use the multisub material and have a separate material just for the ears by using the material ID.

Comment

This can also be achieved by placing a mask in the translucency map slot
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Or....Just paint the vertices you want with the vertex paint modifier and use the vetex paint map instead of the mask map.
        Signing out,
        Christian

Comment

trixian,
          Don't know why I didn't think of that!!

John P.
          John Pruden
          Digital-X

www.digitalxmodels.com
          3D Model Marketplace

Comment

Actually, I only mentioned it because it was directly relevant to your original question. Personally I would go with the blend material with a bitmap\map approach for better flexibility and precise controll.
            Not sure if this then makes the whole model slightly more cpu intensive, but in that case, one could make a instanced mat tree, where only the faces you need sss on have an uniqe id, and a blend material assigned, while the rest of the model has the basic non-translucent material.
            Could be more hassle to set up time wise than just going for the single material approach though.
            Signing out,
            Christian

Comment

A single material is going to be much faster since VRay will not compute sss at all for black areas of the sss map. If you use a Blend material, you will force VRay to compute the sss effect everywhere, even if it's not visible in the end.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Nice...Good to know. I'll try to avoid blends and multi-subs as often as I can in the future
                Signing out,
                Christian

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
                  A single material is going to be much faster since VRay will not compute sss at all for black areas of the sss map. If you use a Blend material, you will force VRay to compute the sss effect everywhere, even if it's not visible in the end.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Will Mulit Sub materials compute as Blend of Single material?

Comment

Originally posted by Basse
                    Will Mulit Sub materials compute as Blend of Single material?
                    They will render with the speed of single materials.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                    X