No announcement yet.

skin shader a la Alsurface pleaseeee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep writing "additive blend shader" for a reason: you layer it as you prefer.
    No spec on the SSS layers, spec added on top (with the full breadth of GTR, at that).
    Each SSS layer with its own settings: nothing stops you from making it as translucent as you please, as deep into the shader as you prefer.
    Being additive, one runs the risk of breaking EP, sure, but then if one's going that deep into shading, one likely knows what one's doing...
    Also, being additive means colors will blend as they should, and in post one will have control of the whole set of layers independently, unlike for ubershaders.
    I never liked pre-canned solutions to problems, so there's a bias right there.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I tried every possible way to get this working and seeing the fur going throught the skin and while preserving the front sss of the sss2 etc.. and it's just impossible Try to play with it, you'll see ^^ We need something coded in there to make that magic happen.. If you find a way to make the skin look as realistic with the fur going throught the skin let me know but me I found no way of doing it in a realistic manner ^^ I already posted an exemple of what I was getting in an other thread here .. but it was not as realistic as I wanted.. and dead slow to render

Comment

It's pretty much only the main material with translucency and glossy refractions that can do that, not the easiest on render times though

Comment

Great discussion! I am also interesting in the possibility of implementing aspects of the Alsurface shader into Vray.

On a related note, if anyone is interested, I started a new thread on Chaos Lab's Wiki human project.

Comment

Last time i tried like Luc to have glossy refraction to see fur "inside" the skin, i tried all ways, never success.
            www.deex.info

Comment

I tried in coronarender ( not in vray ) but with the volumetric shader I could see the fur going throught the skin.. but since it's nnot a real skin shader ,it does not look perfect for skin..A volumetric skin shader could do the trick here I guess.. or maybe a first layer that is a raytraced refractive layer, before the sss component could work.. I don't know I'm not a programmer so ..

Comment

Try vraydistancetex as a mask from hair geometry
                I just can't seem to trust myself
                So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                ---------------------------------------------------------
                CG Artist

Comment

Wow that would be an overkill...

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I agree with you lol How is it going the coding of the Alsurface for Vray?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigguns View Post
                      I agree with you lol How is it going the coding of the Alsurface for Vray?
                      It's getting there Working on the directional sub-surface portion now; then I need to add the two (or three) reflection layers and I'm done. I don't intend to make a full copy, i.e. I won't be adding refractions, anisotropy or thin-walled translucency for the moment, if that's ok?

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Hey GREAT NEWS!! Can't wait to play with that I gonna feel like it's Christmas like when I was kid :X 3 layers of relfection please Would be awesome if we can switch between GGX and beckmaan though ^^ ok for now don't need the refraction aniso etc portions, let's start with the skin and reflections with opacity slot also BTW ^^ and please, for the reflection , I would like to have a bump map slot for each layers, it gives much more control trust me In arnold we were stuck with one bump and it's a pain.. at least to try to get proper reflection, I have a specific workflow for skin reflectance.

Comment

Sweet! Vlado. will it be available nightlies or we wait for SP4?
                          always curious...

Comment

Originally posted by jasonhuang1115 View Post
                            Sweet! Vlado. will it be available nightlies or we wait for SP4?
                            It is a separate plugin for the moment, if it works ok we'll add it to the install.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

do you think vlado that it can be ready for next week ? i dont know how long it is to code those things ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Bigguns View Post
                                do you think vlado that it can be ready for next week ?
                                Eh, not a final version, but maybe I will have something that you can give me early feedback on. Keep in mind that I also have a 100 other urgent things to do that I'm already late for

Best regards,
                                Vlado
                                Last edited by vlado; 01-05-2016, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X