No announcement yet.

Vray Framebuffer improved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if there are so much things hidden there certainly must be some eastern egg in v-ray no ?

mekene

Comment

i think the term is easter egg

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

They've renamed "Easter Egg" "Eastern Egg" because Easter is too much of a religious word.

It's the same reason it's not "Merry Christmas" anymore, but "Happy Holidays".

Comment

Well actually it's just that my finger naturally tiped a 'n' as it made more sense for me but I intended easter indeed
          Sorry for the confusion, but you know, it's not natural for me to write in english, always requires heavy efforts

mekene

Comment

Quote:
            It's there just not activated by default. Create an environemt variable (for windows, not max or vray) with the name VRAY_VFB_HISTORY and set the value to 1...then you get an additional icon in the VFB on the bottom

Would someone mind explaining to a Luddite like me how I go about creating an environment variable for windows. Would love this feature but have no idea how to do the above.

Thanks,

Trev

Comment

Pretty easy. Go to Control-Panel->System->Advanced

There is a button rather down that panel named "Environment Variables"
              Click it and add the variable in the dialogue.

Regards,
              Thorsten

Comment

That's it...............thanks very much!

Comment

The render history thing is a nice touch! It's awesome that it got implemented.

In the same time, I wrote my own render history script which is more streamlined for our workflow but unfortunately it does not work with VFB... My script gets the last rendered image through "getLastRenderedImage()" command which is not updated by Vray. Is there any chance to add a similar function to it or is too much to ask?

Thanks,
                  3d images/Tutorials/Websites: http://3dEssentials.com
                  Personal Page: http://www.75ive.com

Comment

You access the contents of the V-Ray VFB through C++, but not from MaxScript at the moment; I suppose it can be added in the future.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

That would be helpful as most of us have no clue of C++

Thanks,
                      3d images/Tutorials/Websites: http://3dEssentials.com
                      Personal Page: http://www.75ive.com

Comment

gee, i thought we all walked around reading "advanced c++ coding for geniouses"

---------------------------------------------------
                        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

this is indeed a nice hidden sucker... thanx a ton guys...

one more (off-topic) thing on the same 'hidden' principle:
                          i've been using viz in office, but noticed that it also has plugins like biped that load in the plugin manager, but they're not available in the interface. anyone knows how to convert viz into semi-max by unhiding such features?

Originally posted by sv View Post
                          Re:Form, history is actually available in 1.5:

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by instinct
                          It's there just not activated by default. Create an environemt variable (for windows, not max or vray) with the name VRAY_VFB_HISTORY and set the value to 1...then you get an additional icon in the VFB on the bottom

Regards,
                          Thorsten

I've been using this feature and it is really handy.

Comment

Just one thing: Why is this not enabled by default? I mean, there has to be a reason. I've been using this feature for a while now on a daily basis, and I had absolutely no issues with it, everything works as it's expected to work.

Anyway, great addition. Now to enable the split screen VFB... Are there any other env variables like this? I've added three dosen blind guesses to my windows already, like VRAY_VOLUME_SHADERS, and VRAY_VECTOR_DISPLACEMENT but with not much luck.

Best regards,

A.
                            credit for avatar goes here

Comment

It is not enabled, because it is not too well tested and requires some further work.

As for other hidden options, there is only one; if you open the MaxScript listener and type
                              Code:
                              renderers.current.system_raycaster_optLevel=5
                              this will cause V-Ray to perform more aggressive optimizations on its raycast accelerator, which would usually result in faster rendererings (but perhaps also in slightly slower "Building static raycast accelerator" phase and more RAM). Return this value to 0 to restore the default.

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              Last edited by vlado; 09-02-2008, 02:13 AM.
                              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thank you so much!

Hmm, thought so, but consider it being heavily tested, and actually working great!

(Just like the direct caustics rendering. We usually work with as less interpolation as possible in our renders, so the caustics direct rendering was a great feature for us, not to mention that we can now render caustics without the limits of memory.)

Best regards,

A.
                                credit for avatar goes here

Comment

Working...
                                X