Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multipass Denoiser performance 2017 vs 2020

Hi there,

Please correct me, if I'm wrong but the current denoiser version doesn't come near to the multipass performance of the 2017 version. I've tested numerous settings.
    I'm honestly surprised. Seems like all behaves like only old rgb denoising, even when all passes are enabled to consider.

Was the original, true multipass denoising abandoned?

Please check the below examples.

Here's the vrimg file if anyone wants to play with it:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9wvijmt6n...006.vrimg?dl=0

In the old version we can retain the wall bump details, while smoothing out properly GI noises (vertical curtains). Current denoiser is just way too blurry. When I wanted to retain details, all other surfaces are looking like compressed jpg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1095349
    Last edited by RwVision; 10-12-2020, 07:06 AM.
    www.rwvision.com.pl

I’m interested in this as well, old denoiser was superior to the one in Vray5.
    3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
    NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
    www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
    @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

The previous, old one may have been better, but it provided many artifacts and bugs. At least for me.
      The current denoiser suits me because nothing unpredictable happens to it. At least for now.

Comment

RwVision are you talking about the V-Ray Denoiser that is within Cinema 4D or the separate Denoise tool that comes with V-Ray? I'm asking because you've attached a multipass vrimg file and I assume that we're talking about the standalone denoiser tool.
        Ivan Shaykov
        chaos.com

Comment

Hi - On both I'm talking about the standalone denoisers.
          www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

So you're comparing the denoiser between V-Ray 3.7 and V-Ray 5 right? Can you tell me which V-Ray 3.7 you get the standalone denoiser from? I'm asking because oddly enough we're using the same Denoiser versions for both V-Ray 3.7 and V-Ray 5. Right now I'm comparing the results from the standalone denoiser taken from V-Ray 3.70.05 and V-Ray 5 and get the exact same result from both denoisers using the image you attached.
            Ivan Shaykov
            chaos.com

Comment

No. It's denoiser build from 2017 vs 2020 build or even the 2019 build. Does not matter which Vray version you use.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-12-11 20_18_58-C__Windows_system32_cmd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.4 KB ID:	1095591
              www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Yes this is a very old build. It probably doesn't have the UI either. I'll look in to it and see what might have changed.
                Ivan Shaykov
                chaos.com

Comment

Here's my Gui for the older denoiser, might help you faster to check. Saved me time a lot of times

The multipass denoising did a very good job in it. New build is almost unusable, when want to keep details.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cp9nyqchx...YC_ieSDOa?dl=0

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-12-11 21_03_33-Vray Denoiser Gui.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.6 KB ID:	1095601

Attached Files
                  www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Hi Ivan,

Any progress? Should I prepare more info/ examples?
                    www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

After extended tests, it's obvious that current standalone denoiser does not even come close to the older version. Multipass denoising is simply not working.

With the older mp denoiser I can get totally noise-free image,without loosing texture or bump details. No compression effect, everything is in place.

The current version blurs everything out, not even handling properly all the grain - simply unusable.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3ak1dt7qseoh34a/AABpa1s4z1aB4fnUEEjN4bAca?dl=0
                      (pay attention to road texture compression, wall bump and top part of the long shades in building)

This is more than needed to look into!

Last edited by RwVision; 29-12-2020, 07:30 AM.
                      www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

I have to agree, the old system had more options to fine tune the denoising. I hope developers can reintroduce those options.
                        3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
                        NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
                        www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
                        @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

Not to mention the longer frame save times - which I addressed one year ago and still I don't see any progress. There was supposed to be a new version, with setup of strength for each pass - no news there either.

Ivan - what was the latest denoiser version which utilized the true multipass, with no GUI? My old build (Nov 2016) still has the over-bright refraction pass issue. Please let me know where I can get it?

www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Originally posted by shaio View Post
                            Yes this is a very old build. It probably doesn't have the UI either. I'll look in to it and see what might have changed.
                            Almost a month passed, still no info on performance and new denoiser?

Really looking into using new versions and methods.
                            Last edited by RwVision; 09-01-2021, 12:09 AM.
                            www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Hello,

I apologize for the delayed reply.

We are still looking for the reason for this. The change has happened quite a long time ago and we are looking where the problem is. We will let you know if we have any updates.
                              Aleksandar Kasabov
                              chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                              X