Vray 5 will be more expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PdZ View Post
    sirio76 iam honest with you. Are you getting paid by chaosgroup?
    What the h***. Its just an opinion but I think you are the only one who is so positive because you sell your Vray Tutorials and Materials. I get that. But thats "advertising". Just be honest pls.

This is not how to handle customers. Iam really pi**ed. haniel1107 speaks the truth. We are Betatesters. To be honest iam happy to help. Happy to fix. Happy to investigate bugs. By the way I found the problem why V-Ray 3.7 is loading scenes so slowly. I tested it myself. I copied the SAME material 24 times and saved and opened the scene. It has NO OBJECTS in the scene and just 2 textures in 3 channels of an V-Ray Advanced Material. But when the Material has just ONE "V-Ray Tex Layered Max"-Shader, the scene loads almost forever. I will post that afterwards. But

Haniel is right. They increase the price. V-Ray 5 is simply not rdy. The builds are coming slowly. What is going on? Is just one programmer working 1 hour a day 1 Week on that bugs? That is so not understandable slow and weird. Even just a stupid nerd without codingskills analyzes a bug for just 30 minutes and found out what explains the horrendous loading times in Vray (as beforementioned).

What the h***. That is so obvious that something is wrong here. I do understand if there are for ex. 20 bugs posted on a average week in the forum but fixed is maybe 7 bugs in 3 months. But it has to be 400€ price tag.

Thats a big lol for me. Sorry but thats laughable.
    I sell shader and assets for Corona too but you will not see me often on their forum to prize the software just because of that
    Corona is rather good but I'm here and not there because Vray is what I use everyday for work, and for what I do it works quite well (even though it can be improved as noted many time), the fact that I sell shaders have nothing to do with that.. anybody with a few years experience will know that I was present on Vray or other CG forums ages before I've started to sell assets, I was there because I've always learned a lot from forums and because of that I've always be more than happy to help when possible.
    I may look "positive" because I'm the kind of person that try to solve the issue rationally using the tools I have rather than whining online about what work or doesn't work (I'm not referring to you or other in particular ).
    I do encounter issue from time to time (not only using Vray), when I do find a bug I ask politely to developers to fix the problem providing all the information to solve the issues, and guess what? they eventually fix it, if you don't believe me I can make a long and detailed list of all the issue I've personally discovered since the alpha and almost all of them have been solved.
    Yes, a few things are still not working and that's why I'm still using 3.7 for some stuff, but the list of things that don't work is reducing with every build.
    Anyone is entitled to have his opinion, but I always try to look at facts when this is possible and if you see the log included in every build you will see that there are a lot of bugs corrected (far more than 7 in 3 months) and we have had 12 build in a couple months (image attached).
    While the bug you are experiencing may not be solved with a new build, always remember that a bug experienced by someone else is getting solved, as said anyone have different needs and different experience, and that's why IMO it unfair to say regardless that developers/support "just don't care".
    About the shader problem, even this may vary from user to user, while I agree with you that things can definitely be improved there (I've also reported this issue like many other bugs), I've never see the horrendous loading time you are experiencing.
    When I was building my collection I was working on a single file with probably over 6/700 shaders, all loaded with 8K textures (32bit for displacement), dirt, curvature, blend, layered stuff etc, and a texture folder of over 50GB (yes GB not MB), yes, it took about 3 minutes to load everything and I feel this can be surely improved compared to other software, but I've never experienced a 30' loading time like you describe, just to say that your mileage may vary depending on what you are doing
    Other two example of works I've just completed, not the most complex things I've done to be honest but I think that they can be considered "production scenes".
    This exterior was done with Vray5 (loading time 25 seconds):
    https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...-classic-villa
    This interior was done with Vray3.7 (loading time 17 seconds):
    https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...ing-and-dining

About the price, as said I feel they could have managed the transition better in this regard, but also here what can be considered as a fair price may vary from person to person, some users will recoup 400€ in a working day, others in a bit longer, if for whatever reason Vray won't work for you then there is no price low enough, and if that's the case I would have simply asked for a refund

Attached Files
    Last edited by sirio76; 04-03-2021, 01:28 PM.
    3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
    NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
    www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
    @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

Yes, a few things are still not working and that's why I'm still using 3.7 for some stuff, but the list of things that don't work is reducing with every build.
      Well, depending on the stage of development that is the description of a beta.

About the layered shader loading nuisance:
      This is a known bug in Vray 3.x, i suffered loading times up to 15-20 minutes (for 100+ materials)
      It would be really, really strange if this was ported to Vray 5 !

@sirio:
      Are you using Vray layered shaders in those files?
      Last edited by index; 04-03-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Absolutely, of course not on all of the shaders though
        I've made the same test reported by PdZ, it is indeed slow, not slow like in his test (this may depend by the hardware used though) but surely slower compared to other softwares, that being said from my tests it is not slower than rendering all the materials in your scene so the total time for opening a scene can be considered like the time needed to load the assets + the time needed to render all shader previews, if this is really such a large issue (it can be very well when you need to open a lot of scenes with a lot of shaders) then just disable the preview from the Vray preference and it will open instantly, just tested on V5 (you get the saved previews too except for the blend shader).
        About the beta description, can you name a single software that have no flaw and where every possible feature works perfectly?
        Last edited by sirio76; 04-03-2021, 02:51 PM.
        NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/

Comment

Originally posted by sirio76 View Post
          About the beta description, can you name a single software that have no flaw and where every possible feature works perfectly?
          Well, as you yourself have already pointed out. If I pay for a Porsche and only get a Toyota with the preview that it will be upgraded to a Porsche anytime soon. Then the deal is rather bad. I think the devs are working hard on the Vray for C4D version. But it has a bad taste when the same price is asked as it would for a much more mature Max/Maye version.

Comment

You will be surprised by how many bugs Max and Maya have with every new release and by how much time it take to solve all the issues (the one that can be solved)
            About the Porsche/Toyota thing, I would say more that you have purchased a Porsche but the windscreen wiper doesn't work, surely that can be an issues if you live in England but if you live in a warmer country its not such a deal breaker
            As said if you feel unsatisfied just ask for a refund.
            Last edited by sirio76; 04-03-2021, 03:46 PM.

Comment

...I mean if this would be a beta, nobody could say something....
              We are talking about an official release and where a lot of stuff is missing and not working.... nowhere mentioned, when buying and this is more or less embarrassing..

and very exhausting watching daily for new builds... as of course everybody likes to switch as soon as possible to vray5

regarding max and maya, I am sure they are much faster with solutions...
              and maybe cg should rethink these practise
              Last edited by haniel1107; 04-03-2021, 03:50 PM.

Comment

and just a thought

so many times I have read we need to be thankful and patient ... even in the two and half years dry period... I mean they don’t do it because they love you... it‘s simply business... and about market share....and that‘s ok...

we pay, they should deliver...
                Last edited by haniel1107; 04-03-2021, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sirio76 View Post
                  You will be surprised by how many bugs Max and Maya have with every new release and by how much time it take to solve all the issues (the one that can be solved)
                  About the Porsche/Toyota thing, I would say more that you have purchased a Porsche but the windscreen wiper doesn't work, surely that can be an issues if you live in England but if you live in a warmer country its not such a deal breaker
                  As said if you feel unsatisfied just ask for a refund.
                  You don't want to tell me that the C4D Version is on par with the max/maya Version. But it costs the same. Where is your point? New Releases ofc have bugs. But the foundation of the max/maya version is still way ahead. And it should be since its the main focus. But we are talking about business and costs. At this point it will cost me more to switch the engine than dealing with the bugs. But this doesn't mean that it is ok to charge the same amount for a minor flawed Version of the same engine.

And no it's not only the windscreen wiper. If you are ok with this release that is fine and good for you. But i have soooo many obstacles to workaround that cost me more time than working on my projects.

Comment

come on, its obvious the beta was promoted to "final" for the end of year sale while it was nowhere near usable last december. this is not about some small flaws.
                    is the instance bug fixed by the way? how about decals by texture tag mix? gradramp and other shaders? clipper? this is all basic stuff.

Comment

Working without compromise, the ability to use Vray 5 to create any type of scene I want. No alternative workarounds ... doesn't sound too big, does it?

I am very sure that some things can and should be speeded up. Nobody can tell me that a global player like CG couldn't do that ...

Comment

....edit...
                        Last edited by sirio76; 24-03-2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I'm p**** off like you, but let's not get personal .. Neither against someone from CG here in the C4D forum or against other users.
                          Sirio is e.g. one of those who always give helpful tips and whoever wants can buy very good products from him.
                          I am just very dissatisfied and say this ... no more ...

Comment

I have deleted this comment
                            Last edited by PdZ; 05-03-2021, 02:22 AM.

Comment

I have to say sorry to you sirio. Iam just very unhappy. I still think you are not honest. Its just an opinion but this is not not about you and iam sorry to be that drastic in talk sirio76 . Iam sorry.

Its about current state of Vray, pricing and handling us customers. This making me mad. Sorry

Comment

I just want a good V-Ray 5 product. I was waiting for an update for years and never believed it will happen. Its like Christmas. Iam a super-nerd playing with all the settings and shaders. The new V-Ray 5 Features are like getting from N64 to Nintendo Switch. Its a absolute crazy improvement. BUT i cant deny the fact that we got a broken Beta. I dont know any businessman/seller who sells you a broken product as "fixed" and also putting a higher pricetag on it except here with Vray. I cant understand this behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                                X