Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[HOU-1581] V-Ray product suggestion: V-Ray TexCurvature, Scale Value can be Mapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOU-1581] V-Ray product suggestion: V-Ray TexCurvature, Scale Value can be Mapped

Hi Guys,

When I try to use the V-Ray TexDirt to create edgewear grunge on convex edges, it comes with artefacts from the Normals.

To get around this, I use V-Ray TexCurvature but, annoyingly, the scale value cannot be mapped with a grunge texture. My suggestion is to make this parameter mappable so we can generate edgewear damage to convex edges using grunge maps.

Thanks

Hello stevejjd , you could put the curvature into a V-Ray Mask and mask it there with any noise, image or user attribute you want. You can also use the output of this V-Ray Mask as an input for another V-Ray Mask and add more details on those edges. Is that work for you?
    Georgy Chakarov | QA
    www.chaosgroup.com
    georgy.chakarov@chaosgroup.com

Comment

This works. Thank you. ~

But I still think better results could be seen if the curvature map's scale could be mapped. I find the curvature radius is too sharp and uniform.

The reason V-Ray's dirt texture is distinct from other render engine's dirt maps is because the radius can be mapped making it look like dirt is emanating from cracks and crevices. I think this will help the Curvature map look more natural.

(Update)
      Oh look, the sample radius can be mapped. I think it’s working how I wanted. Try plugging a texture into a Color to float then plug that into the sample radius.
      Last edited by stevejjd; 22-01-2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

> Try plugging a texture into a Color to float then plug that into the sample radius.

Could you pls send me a simplified scene? Socket types are automatically converted export-time so I wonder why you need to use "color to float" manually...
        V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
        andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
        Support Request

Comment

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nv...MrwLC_ayRL0mW9

Here we go

I made a scene file with a simple example.

Comment

Tnx, will work without "color to float" in the next builds.
            V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
            andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
            Support Request

Comment

Also can we get curvature in vray tweaked to allow the concave and the convex values as different ends of the output value? As in convex is white, concave is black, flat is grey?

Comment

+1 on John's suggestion.
                always curious...

Comment

Working...
                X