Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PHI-2265] RENDERING CLOUDS Volume grid shader: missing key "Phase" control

Hi Amazing Chaos team,

We recently started testing Vray and unfortunately we have hit a bit of a wall while rendering VDB Volumetric clouds and steam/vapour volumes in general.

How can we control the forward scattering of the light in the shader? a phase/anisotropy control seem to be missing.

Are you guys planning to add one?

Thanks!
    Mikel.

Last edited by Gosho.Genchev; 23-09-2020, 06:42 AM.

Hey miko3d ,

the forward/backward scattering controls, as well as the absorption options, are currently under active development. Both of these are very high on our priority list - I can't specify an exact date but expect to see them in V-ray in the near future.
    I'm linking this thread to the relevant ticket in our bug tracking system so you will be informed as soon as those controls are available.

Best regards!
    gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thanks for the Information Gosho&glad the team is on it,

Lets hope it wont take too long

Mikel.

Comment

Posting here to also get notified.
        This is a sorely missed feature in V-Ray.

Comment

Plus one on this too, please!

Comment

Just saw Vlados video on cg press. That looks extremely impressive and encouraging! Can’t wait to test it.

https://youtu.be/KRStiWWtopI
            Last edited by Dubbie99; 18-01-2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I hope to see this also on the GPU with that said is looking pretty good!

Comment

Hey hsz ,

Yes, the Phase controls are coming for both V-Ray CPU and GPU.

Best regards!

Comment

Little bump here.. Is there any ETA for new volume shaders?

Comment

Can we get an update of what is happening with the volume shaders in Houdini.
                    These are very important for VFX work and are lacking at the moment in VRay.

Comment

Hey all,

We fully comprehend the importance of this feature. We recently added Absorption to the volume shader, and naturally the next big thing is anisotropic scattering so rendering of realistic clouds is possible. I would love to give you a timeframe for this but ultimately it depends on how the development goes. Adding a new feature that barely works is simple enough but making sure it works fast, and properly with all V-Ray features (e.g. Adaptive Lights, GI, AOVs) takes time.

Best regards!

Comment

Hi Gosho,

I am loving the new absorption feature! So very pleased to see it in VRay now.
                        I am also very impressed at the speed of rendering the VDBs Without caching it is quite reasonable!

Looking forward to seeing the phase controls come through.

Click image for larger version

Name:	smoke.png
Views:	506
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	1120976

Comment

Hey Dubbie99 ,

Yup, yup, the Absorption feature is a major improvement. Happy to hear you're enjoying it. Hang tight for the Phase control

Best regards!

Comment

Hi, do the phase controls exist yet? I could have sworn I saw it the other day, but can't find it now.

Comment

I'm having a bad time right now trying to render white clouds.

Some phase function control would be very welcome right now.
                              I have the latest nightly and there is no sign of it in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X