No announcement yet.

Ocean shader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOT for maya also exist i used on my latest commercial ill post it soon (waiting for client green light for publishing)....
    Last edited by bazuka; 06-04-2011, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Ok

this is what i got

water shader (not disp) was used for the HOT in commercial also (maybe ill share that shader too, one day )
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bazuka; 06-04-2011, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Its way too "roundish" for my taste. I really prefer the "streaky" look from maya ocean shader. Is there no way to implement a similar look into vray water?

Comment

i think it looks great. if you can manage. it's certainly faster that to go to some fluid sim..

Comment

u can also get something like this with HOT if u dont like the disp solution

Comment

He he, Ive been nagging about this all over this forum.
              But I thing is for sure, I really miss the maya ocean shader which have a complete different structure than both HOT and vray water.
              Its much less repetetive, It has a more believable shape if the water is a little more lively. Just study this image and see the difference in the basic shape.

Anyway I assume that this is probably one of these Autodesk keep secret things but it would for sure power up vray for maya even more..

Comment

well dont get me wrong and im not planing to start some flame here, but this image that u paste (maya ocean) has nothing to do with a real wave/ocean algo coz i never saw the ocean look like this...

HOT has/use a Tessendorf algo that is 90% close to real ocean look (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...pV0uzg&cad=rja)

cheers

Comment

No worries Bazuka, I totally respect you and I just express my opinion which is as thickheaded as It may be but I personally dont like the tessendorf implementations that Ive seen so far (whatever percentage right they may be
                  To me they are too softish/roundish and lacks any kind of erratic feel to it. The picture I attached does indeed look strange but points to some differences in basic structure.
                  I´ll attach another image which maybe shows better what Im after.

http://www.google.se/imgres?imgurl=h...w=1373&bih=842

Comment

i think i could make something like this with HOT needs more tweaking but i think it possible

cheers

here is it

dont know how close is to the image u post...
                    Last edited by bazuka; 18-04-2011, 12:14 AM.

Comment

You are indeed a great rescource to this forum! That looks alot more like it.
                      However I guess Its still bound by that angle. The "ocean plane" isnt big enough for a camera to travel up a few meters is it?
                      Ive had projects where HOT failed me because I cant use HOT + displacement w vray for maya which is a pity.

Comment

thx amigo

well we could ask vlado to support hot disp node with vray

Comment

That would be a wet dream for sure!!
                          +10
                          Vlado?

Comment

Just adding my vote for HOT as vector displacement.

Comment

Originally posted by bazuka View Post

i think i could make something like this with HOT needs more tweaking but i think it possible

cheers

here is it

dont know how close is to the image u post...
                              bazuta: Can I ask you to try to achieve the same effect with VRayWater and if you can't to tell me which parameter of HOT does it and it is missing in VRayWater or doesn't work correctly?

Thank you.
                              V-Ray developer

Comment

Hi petrov,

well a lots of thing ,

u cant make choppy waves,
                                patch resolution, loosing details when u close up to ocean surface

here is a source code i think its easier to take a look of all the parameters u have in HOT

its free for usage as far as i know...

u can find everything here

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...?f=86&t=859559
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by bazuka; 21-04-2011, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X