Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

maintaining Vray builds with workstations and the render frarm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fredrik Averpil View Post
    Are you that all drive letters have been mapped?
    By executing cmd.exe rather than your install.bat you can try to access the file's location and see whether that's the issue or not.
    Hi Fredik,

All drives are definitely mapped.

Will try exectuing cmd.exe and see where that takes me.

Cheers,

Rich

Comment

Just a very quick question.
      How do I gain access to nightly builds ?

Many thanks

Comment

You can email us to vraymaya@chaosgroup.com for the info how to get them.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Many thanks Vlado

Comment

Hi,

I installed vray to a network folder as described here: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya...l_from_dir.htm
            Everything runs fine except for one minor issue. When I open a new scene and switch to vray in the render globals it can't create the commom tab.
            // Error: setParent: Object 'commonTabColumn' not found.
            If i select another tab and switch back the common tab gets created. Is this a maya, user or vray issue?

I also had to set XBMLANGPATH to "/vray_builds/my_version/maya_vray/icons" without %B to get the icons to display.

Running: Win 7 x64 Professional, Maya 2011/2012, Vray 2.00.04 release

EDIT:
            After I played with the silent install I noticed that the installer wants to modify these mel scripts "createMayaSoftwareCommonGlobalsTab.mel; shouldAppearInNodeCreateUI.mel; unifiedRenderGlobalsWindow.mel". If I copy them to the network folder I want to install vray to (/vray_build/my_version/maya_root/scripts/others/) the installer finishes without errors. With these modified scripts the common tab problem mentioned above is gone.
            Last edited by CerpinTaxt; 05-07-2011, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Can someone please help me with psexec? What's the command everyone uses to get it to install? This fails:

psexec -u domain\user -p password \\remotecompname -s -i -d msiexec.exe /i "I:\Vray\vrayinstall.exe" -gui=0 -configFile="install.xml" -quiet=1
              Maya 2020/2022
              Win 10x64
              Vray 5

Comment

Hi have still been unable to get vray to install using PStools. I can get the install to run (i wrapped the vrayinstall.exe with XML commands into a .bat file and then just called the bat file instead with the psexec commands) but vray will install and then start uninstalling itself.

To make it worse I now can't even get the installer to even run with psexec. Not sure what the issue is.

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  Heh ok, I see you found it out already. There is some more information here: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya...l_from_dir.htm

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  V-Ray is working fine when installed from an arbitrary location here, on Windows. But when setting this up for OS X (Snow Leopard), how would you go about loading the Maya-specific libvray.dylib? (which Maya complains over not finding)

Should it be copied from [arbitrary location]/maya_vray/bin/libvray.dylib to somewhere into /Applications/Autodesk/maya2012/Maya.app/Contents/... or can it be loaded some other way – preferably using an environment variable?
                  Best Regards,
                  Fredrik

Comment

LD_LIBRARY_PATH sounds like it should do it.
                    Important Looking Pirates | ILPVFX
                    http://www.ilpvfx.com/

Comment

In the case of Mac OS X - DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Many thanks Vlado, that works perfectly!
                        I pointed it to [build_install_folder]/maya_root/MacOS/ – in case anyone reads this and are having the same issues I had...
                        Best Regards,
                        Fredrik

Comment

By the way, while I'm at it. After having extracted a build onto the arbitrary location (the server), the next time I wish to extract a new build V-Ray wants to uninstall the previous build... any chance I can reset this by deleting a log file or something?
                          Best Regards,
                          Fredrik

Comment

Ahh sorry, yes there is an install log, just have to check the exact location on Mac OS X.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

in windows, I can use the usersetup.py with os.environ/os.putenv to set the environment variables that vray need and start from a custom location on a machine without anything installed or created. On OSX even with proper os.putenv/os.environ in usersetup it seens that it never finds the correct DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. The best method(but not for me) so far i managed is in the terminal do an export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=blablabla command and a open maya...

Anyone has the same issue?

Comment

Vlado: any chance you found out about that log file on OS X? Also, if there's a log file trick for Windows too I'm all ears!

Santa: nope, we just set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=[build_install_folder]/maya_root/MacOS/ and that "just works". We also are using Python and environment vars to launch Maya.
                                Best Regards,
                                Fredrik

Comment

Working...
                                X