Fog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog

I've searched the forum before and I have enabled env fog and inserted a vray env fog node with some success.

However I still cant find any proper descriptions how to get env shadows like god rays or underwater effects.
    Also I would like to define a sphere like radius for fog so I can have objects coming out of it.

Are there any tuts or threads on here that I missed? I just cant figure out howto set up the other fogs for lights etc.

any help would be great!
    crz

No one?`

Comment

I've been searching too but so far come up empty handed, if anyone has some links or tips on FOG it would be a big help..

Comment

This really needs to be in the (online) documentation!
        Last edited by Cruz; 08-07-2011, 03:25 AM.

Comment

There was a volume shader post somewhere in the forum. It explains V-Ray ENV FOG shader which looks stunning when you use an IES light and have objects to cast shadow.. If I have time I will post a tutorial video.

Comment

u mean something like this

http://www.vimeo.com/20211627

Comment

Yes! I'm esp interested in the caustics/godray effect.

I've managed to make a primitve that has primary visability and cast shadows off and connect it to the Vray Env Fog via the relationship editing using a set.

I don't get godray lights/shadows and I cant assign a procedural texture to the density as shown here
              http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...ronmentfog.htm

Comment

i think i could make some sample scenes when i get home from this fog examples

stay tuned

p.s. just let me know what sample would u like me to make 1st, Example 5: Volumetric caustics?
                Last edited by bazuka; 11-07-2011, 10:32 AM.

Comment

hey bazuka, that would be amazing!

I hope this is not too much work, but these are the 3 main topics/scenes I'd be interested in.

1. (Spot-)Light a sphere or box as gizmo with god rays/shadow fog

if possible the differences between scatter, light and env fog.

2. Caustics for underwater scene

3. More than 1 Different Fogs in a scene.

i.e. One env fog in a box and then a sphere gizmo with an ambient light simulating a streetlamp. I'm pretty sure this is relationship editor stuff and binding a light fog to a light (which i have no clue how?!?)

Comment

Here is something for start (not 100% identical but close enough)

Attached Files

Comment

Hey Bazuka, thanks alot for the scenefile.

Looks pretty nice and simple in your rendering. I've been busy on an other project so this is kind of on hold but I opened it up and tried to find out what you did that was different to how ive been trying to achieve this up untill now. I thought you might have a noise or some kind of scatter texture from the look of it.

I will have to investigate further

thanks man!

cant wait for 2) and 3)

Comment

nice u found it useful, am also a bit busy, but i hope ill make the scenes for a weekend , noise is not a texture thats the photon limit (30 photons)

cheers

Comment

2. Caustics for underwater scene

this one is simple all u need is a caustic seq map, for the video i did i used this nice app (http://www.dualheights.se/caustics/)

and all u need to do is connect the map to light color

3rd sample im not sure i understand what u want, could u paste me the link of a image...

Comment

Have to try this when I'm back at work. No Vray on the weekend here

The third thing I was interested in was being able to create more than one effect at the same time in one render.

This is probably a bad example picture but here you can see it seems like 2 effects going on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5378899430_6de3730ca3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	844252

There is a simple env fog going on. Slightly fading away in the Background.
                            In the foreground all the street lights have a glow rather than a fog.

Instead of rendering out a MatID for the lamps and doing it in Nuke, I would like to know if its possible to set up a scene with different gizmos.
                            So from how I imagine it there would be a big Sphere encompassing the scene linked to the Env fog and a second fog set up to a group of Sphere gizmos placed around the lights.

Normally I would agree to do this with one fog but if you dont want a dense main fog and stronger glow around lights It would be great to control them seperately.
                            I think this is possible in max with the post glow and light fog?

This would also bring me to a 4) scenario ... How can I link a fog to just one spotlight?
                            Last edited by Cruz; 16-07-2011, 05:58 AM.

Comment

well if u take a look the pic ull notice that fog is all over the place/street, and the thing around the street lamp is an actually a glow + small amount of env. fog, but more glow than fog, i could make some similar scene and ull see

cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X