• Time
  • Show
Clear All

youre a champ!

looking forward to it

Comment

here is

1st solution
      Fog on everything (lamps inside bounding box)

2nd solution
      Fog per lamp (bounding sphere)

Comment

Thank you for this example, I too have been searching for the answer as to how to do this effect with Maya and VRay. I'm going to try it today. I was trying to make light rays come through a window into an interior scene. This should work for me, correct?

Comment

Bazuka, can you tell me how you set up this volume caustic scene? If I'm correct, you turned on caustics and put the VRayEnv fog into the environment shader slot? Is there anything attached to the spotlight?

Thank you.
          Sam

Comment

Hi Sam,
            setup is really simple as u can see there is only 1 light and thats it (i just added the vray light settings for photon control, but i think that u dont need it, try to turn it off)

everything else is going in render settings (caustic ON), and VRayEnv fog node...

Comment

Thanks Bazuka.
              I've attaching a pic of the scene I'm working on. I want light rays to come through the window with slight noise to break up the fog. But I can't seem to get it to work properly. Should I be using a gizmo to control the shape of the fog? And I'm using VRay area lights in the windows, how do I get them to work with the fog like in your caustic example? Click image for larger version

Name:	CurrentRender.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	844261

There is a dome light for the overall environment light outside. Then I have area lights in each window. I'd like the light from those to shine into the scene. How would I set that up?

Thank you again for all your help.

Sam

Comment

For light rays, you need a very strong directional light (like the sun, or a spot light); area lights will just give you a bright blob. Also keep in mind that unless the place has not been dusted for ages, the sun beams are typically a mild effect

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado! That's exactly what was happening a big blob of fog. Yeah, I just wanted a slight hint of rays in the air, not a whole lot though.

Comment

Ok, I have another question. I have a dome light and about 4 area lights in my scene. If I want to create the light rays and have ONLY the spot light affect the VRayEnvFog that's in the environment shader slot. How do I achieve that? So far, I add the fog where I'm supposed to with the spot light in my scene, but it's still just a big blob of fog all over the place and it's black instead of white. I must be still doing something wrong.

Comment

i think i understand what ur trying to make, but would be best if its not a secret to send me scene (PM) if u still have probl when u do this:

make a bounding box mesh (simple poly, cube, sphere, anything...) go to Window->Relationship editor->Sets

from left side select the VRayEnvFog node and on the right side find the bounding mesh, and thats it, just dont forget to hide the bounding mesh u want to render it

cheers

Comment

Bazuka, I tried to PM you my file, but you can't add .zip attachments there. Then I tried to reply to the thread and attach the file there, but there is a file limit of 97.7kb. My file is 8mb, so it won't let me upload it. Is there another way to send you my scene file?

Thanks
                        Sam

Comment

u can upload somewhere on the web and send me a link, or u can use yousendit.com and send it directly to me

contact me on PM for email details....

cheers

Comment

is there a way to confine the vray env fog effect to a volume or piece of geometry instead of putting it on the whole scene?

Comment

Also, is there a way to get the VraySun in Maya to work with environment fog? I can only seem to get it to work with spotlights and vrayLights.

Comment

You will need to confine the fog to some area (or use the max. height). Otherwise the fog is infinitely thick and will block all of the sunlight.

Best regards,
                                Vlado
                                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                                X