No announcement yet.

Metaballs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you removed metaballs in a later build? Iḿ 99% certain I found and tried them about a month ago through the vray create menu, but now I can't find them anymore.

Comment

They were still there last time I checked. They are only in the nightly builds though, not in the stable ones.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

having fun with the metaballs. working great, but I don't seem to get them in RT. Still to come, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

-ctj
        http://www.a52.com

Comment

Hi,
          The Metaballs are not currently supported by RT, but will be added.

Ivan Ivanov
          V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Hello,
            Originally posted by vlado View Post
            They were still there last time I checked. They are only in the nightly builds though, not in the stable ones.
            Do you know when metaballs will be added to the stable builds ?
            I checked the release notes for the latest version (build 22029 from yesterday), and I don't see anything about metaballs.
            Cheers.

Comment

I noticed the folder ./vray_geommetaball in the samples/vray_plugins folder in the latest nightly, although there was only a make file there. Any chance of the source code showing up in the next build?

/Eric
              Important Looking Pirates | ILPVFX
              http://www.ilpvfx.com/

Comment

I can send you the source code privately if you email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com; I don't want to include it in the builds just yet.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

I can send you the source code privately if you email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com; I don't want to include it in the builds just yet.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  thanks vlado, sent you a mail!

/Eric
                  Important Looking Pirates | ILPVFX
                  http://www.ilpvfx.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ALFRED_ST_MEDIA View Post
                    having fun with the metaballs.
                    Hi,
                    Do you use a "nightly" nightly build, or a "stable" nightly build ?
                    Neither of their Release notes include Metaballs, so I don't know if it's available in the current "stable" nightly build.

Comment

Originally posted by alainfx View Post
                      Neither of their Release notes include Metaballs, so I don't know if it's available in the current "stable" nightly build.
                      No, it's not in the stable builds, and will probably not be there for a while longer - otherwise they might automatically cease to be "stable"

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Thanks Vlado.

Comment

Hi,

I installed the latest nightly, to test the Metaballs, and found it only works with particles (it crashes maya if you render while the positive set includes a geometry or a locator).

Is it scheduled to add locators to the supported types ? (I guess it's not more difficult than particles).
                          And poly mesh ? (ok, that one is probably a lot more difficult).

Sometimes it's easier to setup locators than particles (you could get a metaball between 3 cream drops using simple keyframes).

Cheers.

Comment

For the moment we don't plan to support locators or other geometry; you'll have to make the particles go in those locations (f.e. by distributing the particles on the surface of the geometry).

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

For the moment we don't plan to support locators or other geometry; you'll have to make the particles go in those locations (f.e. by distributing the particles on the surface of the geometry).
                              Thank you.
                              I have written scripts to constrain particles to locators positions, but it's not ideal.

Do you plan to have the particle's radiusPP attribute control the radius of each blobby element ?
                              It would be very useful.
                              EDIT : sorry, I didn't saw there is a "Use particle size" switch, it works all right.

Also, on the area that joins 2 particles, there is a visible band (see picture below).
                              Is it something that I can avoid by tweaking the shading ?
                              (maybe it's just how blobby should be, I'm not sure)
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	blobby.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	845896

Thanks.
                              Last edited by alainfx; 07-08-2012, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X