vray hair shader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treyharrell View Post
    That MEL script I created only works with ShaveNodes... it's been testing with native Shave shading.

I haven't tested it with a Hair3 override on Shave, but in that case, I assume you could just do a material ID on the Hair3 mat, yeah?

--T
    Doh! Yes, you're exactly right. Cool, thanks.

Comment

But really, just plugging a file texture into haircolor then using the hairsampler color out seems to be the best approach at the moment. You can still use blend color on each follicle clump if you want to add streaks and the like.
      Can you elaborate on how to set this up? In particular I'm confused about how to hook up "hairsampler" here. Thanks!

Comment

Is there a way to have hair not be part of the GI calculation? (I am aware of the "opaque GI" option)
        Last edited by sharktacos; 10-03-2012, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Yes, and there are several options. One is to apply V-Ray object properties to the hair system and turn off either the "Generate GI" option, or the "Visible to GI" option. The other is to wrap the hair shader in a VRayWrapperMtl material and turn off the "Generate GI" option.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Last edited by vlado; 10-03-2012, 07:48 AM.
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks. Is it also possible to have different render settings for the hair? For example rendering everything else with DMC max samples set to 25 and primary GI set to brute force, but the hair set to 4 max samples and GI set to photon map?

Comment

The vrayMtlHair3 shader does not have an option for adding a material ID (or any other vray attributes). Is there any way to get it to work with a multi-matte pass?

Comment

The way I've been doing this is by adding an object property to the hairsystem & pfx preview, and giving that an object ID for a multimatte.

Comment

The way I've been doing this is by adding an object property to the hairsystem & pfx preview, and giving that an object ID for a multimatte.
                  We are using Shave for the hair, so that unfortunately will not work.

Comment

Yeah, you're right. Have you tried my shave multimatte generator script from the other hair thread? I haven't tested it with hair3, but it should still work.

I would like official materialID support in hair3, though. It doesn't even work if you pass it through a bumpmtl and add the materialID there (my usual workaround).

--T

Comment

For regular Maya hair, you can add the V-Ray object properties to the hair system and use the object ID along with the multimatte element. Of course we still have to fix the material ID for the hair 3 material.

[edit] I see it's already been posted

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by sharktacos View Post
                        Thanks. Is it also possible to have different render settings for the hair? For example rendering everything else with DMC max samples set to 25 and primary GI set to brute force, but the hair set to 4 max samples and GI set to photon map?
                        Unfortunately not. Per-object AA sampling is something that will be implemented a bit later on.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Yeah, you're right. Have you tried my shave multimatte generator script from the other hair thread? I haven't tested it with hair3, but it should still work.
                          We did test that and found that the multi-matte looked different. It seemed to be creating shadows from the hair onto the matte or something. I have not had time to really track down what the exact error was.

EDIT: I have attched a pic that shows what is going on. On the left is the multimatte generated from Shave hair, on the right the same with the vrayMtlHair3
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by sharktacos; 13-03-2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                            Of course we still have to fix the material ID for the hair 3 material... [edit] I see it's already been posted
                            Is it possible to update this without doing a complete reinstall?

Comment

Originally posted by sharktacos View Post
                              Is it possible to update this without doing a complete reinstall?
                              It mightbe possible but it depends on your particular set up and the OS you are using.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                                It mightbe possible but it depends on your particular set up and the OS you are using.

Best regards,
                                Vlado
                                okay, what info do you need?

Comment

Working...
                                X