next Vray for Maya official release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmi View Post
    Is it part of the actual windows installer?
    The last screen has a checkbox that asks if you want to see the changelog or not.

Btw, as a sidenote. Would it be possible to get the nightly builds also just as a simple zip(instead of a windows installer).
    I don't think we have any plans to do zip installs for maya's night builds, unfortunately.
    V-Ray developer

Comment

Originally posted by t.petrov View Post
      The last screen has a checkbox that asks if you want to see the changelog or not.
      Ahhh (as my other questions hint, I try to avoid the installers)..., my bad.
      Having it in the "root" of the download for the release would be nice (or well for me at least). But, now that I know where it is, then fair enough.

I don't think we have any plans to do zip installs for maya's night builds, unfortunately.
      Also completely fair, I will use the installers and extract things from there.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Well thats the thing. Generating the modified mel files is relatively easy.

I would rather do that than having to hunt down all the needed libs and files from a "installed" version.
        (though, I did use the "uninstall log" to figure out what files were needed).
        At least comparing the official (old build) to the nightlies there are a few changes in the needed library files.

So, install, copy files, uninstall is a tiny bit more hassle than "copy zip content, modifiy mel" and I am indeed lazy(and it will help me deploy a version knowing that I have all the files needed).
        When you start the installer, it asks for maya's location, VRay's location, etc...
        If you set the paths to some empty directory, I think it writes everything in it (but I didn't check this for a while).

Comment

Also we have a guide for people that want to do network installs.
          Here it is http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help...l_from_dir.htm
          V-Ray developer

Comment

Also we have a guide for people that want to do network installs.
            Here it is http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help...l_from_dir.htm
            Originally posted by alainfx View Post
            When you start the installer, it asks for maya's location, VRay's location, etc...
            If you set the paths to some empty directory, I think it writes everything in it (but I didn't check this for a while).
            So, I did use the "install from dir" instructions when I did our setup, and I did notice the "install into empty folder" method in the descriptions.
            The only thing that had me "install into the maya directory" was this part in the instructions.

You will get a message that an error occurred during the installation, because the installer will not be able to find and modify some of the standard Maya MEL scripts, which otherwise cause minor glitches when running V-Ray inside Maya. You can safely ignore this error.
            It had me worried that I didn't get the Mel code that is rather necessary in order to run it in interactive mode.
            Maybe I should check that part again.
            On the other hand, I really doubt that these mel files(the modified maya ones) will ever change (between vray versions), so we will probably ignore those in the future builds and just use the same one.

I was only asking about the zip for nightlies in case it was an easy thing for you.
            None of this is a "problem" at all (and its not that often we update anyway), its more a question of ironing out the workflow a bit (it wont always be myself who takes care of it, so the easier it is the easier it is to give to somebody else).

All in all I hope these posts will also help other people in the future so thanks for the feedback everybody.

Comment

The .zip nightlies have been requested by other people too, so we'll see. My main concern is the size of the nightly builds - the server has somewhat limited space and it tends to fill up quickly even now. But we'll see.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosGroup View Post
                The 2.4 builds were removed from the download section on our web site because we found out that they needed more refinement. The release of 2.4 was moved back in time so we could synchronize features between versions, fix more bugs, etc.
                Today we have released 2.3 version for all platforms.
                There is now a build called stable_2.4 / 20130916 / vray_adv_24001_maya2014_x64_23605.rar
                Does it contain the refinement you talked about ?

Also I'm wondering, I did a "diff" between release notes of the above stable build and the latest nightly.
                There is only 1 line of difference.
                Does it mean the real differences are seen in the 3.0 beta 1 section of the release notes ?

Cheers.

Comment

There are a lot of differences between the stable_2.4 and the last Nightly Build.
                  Stable version doesn't contain all the features/fixes available in the last Nightly build - this is something normal , all new features and fixes must be tested extensively before their implementation in stable-build.
                  Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                  Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Can someone please list the differences between stable 2.3 that was released last week and this new stable 2.4.

Thank you!

Comment

The main difference is RT/CUDA support. Aside from this - various RT/maya fluids/general fixes, VRayDistance texture, OutputDeepWriter, animated extra attributes (both user and OpenEXR), set for renderable curves, proper soft limits for attributes, subdivs limits for swatch rendering. The 2.4 nightly builds are back again, but are still under testing.
                      V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

2.4 nigtly has change log. It's auto-generated and may be not 100% accurate.
                        V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Any word on when an official 2.4 version will be released?

Comment

Originally posted by JabbaTheNut View Post
                            Any word on when an official 2.4 version will be released?
                            Unfortunately we can't give an exact release date at this stage. Please check our web site regularly for announcements.
                            Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I thought it was already released?

V-Ray: V-Ray for Maya version 2.40.01, revision 23619 from Sep 18 2013, 19:08:52

Comment

Originally posted by dariofx View Post
                                I thought it was already released?

V-Ray: V-Ray for Maya version 2.40.01, revision 23619 from Sep 18 2013, 19:08:52
                                This is a nightly build, the official one is not available in our web site yet.
                                Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                                X