Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya 2015 colour management and VRay 3.0

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has changed their colour management workflow in the latest version of Maya and Vray 3.0?

The compositors here are asking me to use a REC709 LUT however I've only ever used an SRGB LUT.

My currrent workflow for SRGB in VRAY under Render Settings > Color mapping are:

Linear multiply

Gamma 2.200

Affect Background ON

Affect swatches ON

My file textures / ramps and colour swatches have always been corrected with a gamma utility set to .4545

Within vray I render buffer use the LUT to add the SRGB correction. All renders at saving in linear as an EXR.

I would like to have the following if possible..?

All textures / ramps and colour swatches automatically corrected to linear space depending on their format ie jpg, exr png etc. So no more having to add a gamma utility node of .4545

I'd like to view OPEN GL stuff correctly with all the new maya viewport features and view my Vray 3.0 renders with a REC709 LUT instead of SRGB.

Could anyone suggest the best workflow?

many thanks,

Joe

You can add V-Ray color space attributes to File nodes, you don't have to fill your scene with gamma nodes; see here for more info:
    http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...tureInputGamma

This will be also slightly faster as the gamma will be processed by the image reader itself, rather than going through another shading node.

We are working to support the new SynColor library from Autodesk, however this is an ongoing process - for the moment the library is too slow for us to use directly.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado,

Yep I use that too. It's great. Shame we can't add it to ramps or textures too.

best,

Joe

Comment

Hi Vlado, in maya 2015 file node has the color space option (based on the color management you are using), and as you said is not yet supported by VRAY yet. My question is, can I use the color management of maya turned on (just for viewport color management purpose) and just ignore the color space option in file node? My texture are already linearized. I would like to confirm if this causes any issues, slowdowns etc.

Comment

This will work fine, yes. There won't be any slowdowns or anything.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
          X