No announcement yet.

OSL goodness in Vray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you had to choose between implementing the skinmtl one or the alSurface one, which would you choose?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
      If you had to choose between implementing the skinmtl one or the alSurface one, which would you choose?

Best regards,
      Vlado

I would choose ALsurface because the sss layers are normalized, making it more intuitive to get a desired final color based on the diffuse color, rather than having the sss layers tint the resulting color. The only caveat is that it would be nice if there were some "fast" option like cubic for cases where one did not want to use the slower (but better) directional or diffussion methods. That's true for the alSurface shader in general.

Comment

• I also would choose the alsurface as well!

Comment

• Hey guys,

You can check out these OSL noises and I hope you find them useful.

Best regards,
          Ivan M.

Comment

• Do check those noises.
            Ivan's more machine than man, although I haven't yet found the plug to download the goodies directly from his brain.
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivan Mavrov View Post
              Hey guys,

Best regards,
              Ivan M.

Awesome Ivan, thanks for sharing these!

Comment

• wow! that OSL thing is amazing! Does those OSL have to be written for V-Ray or any OSL written for any renderer could be pasted in V-Ray and work?
                Last edited by jstrob; 04-09-2016, 02:33 AM.

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
                Little Antman
                See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
                Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

• https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...AX/OSL+Support

I'll never understand the adversity to hit the docs and help site, and type a search.
                  I made myself a chrome search engine shortcut, so i type CH in the omnibox, followed by the keyword, and get there immediately, like so:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	863355

this is the string to input in the rightmost box.
                  Code:
                  http://docs.chaosgroup.com/dosearchsite.action?queryString=%s
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• Originally posted by jstrob View Post
                    wow! that SOL thing is amazing! Does those OSL have to be written for V-Ray or any OSL written for any renderer could be pasted in V-Ray and work?

Generally OSL works anywhere. There are some things that are not implemented in Vray, as well as some things that are Vray specific. That's all detailed in the Chaos OSL docs (it's a bit hard to find as there's no link in the Maya help, and the link on the OSL shaders page is broken, but you can get there from the Max help).

Comment

• Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                      https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...AX/OSL+Support

I'll never understand the adversity to hit the docs and help site, and type a search.
                      I made myself a chrome search engine shortcut, so i type CH in the omnibox, followed by the keyword, and get there immediately, like so:

this is the string to input in the rightmost box.
                      Code:
                      http://docs.chaosgroup.com/dosearchsite.action?queryString=%s
                      Gret tip Lele! Any tip related to a search engine is the best tip to learn! Seriously. I just added such links for every software help search that I use! It works great!
                      Last edited by jstrob; 04-09-2016, 03:18 AM.

Little Antman

Comment

• Originally posted by sharktacos View Post
                        Generally OSL works anywhere. There are some things that are not implemented in Vray, as well as some things that are Vray specific. That's all detailed in the Chaos OSL docs (it's a bit hard to find as there's no link in the Maya help, and the link on the OSL shaders page is broken, but you can get there from the Max help).
                        Ok Thanks! yes the link brings to a login page that doesn't work. But doing a search in the vray doc (with the lele tricks or the regular way) can lead us there too.

Little Antman

Comment

Ok Thanks! yes the link brings to a login page that doesn't work.
                          Right, that's an error in the docs. Do note that the first link I provided in my above post takes you there

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivan Mavrov View Post
                            Hey guys,

Best regards,
                            Ivan M.
                            How do you make these work? I just get stripes.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	OSLAligatorNoise.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	863380
                            - Geoff

Comment

Gret tip Lele! Any tip related to a search engine is the best tip to learn! Seriously. I just added such links for every software help search that I use! It works great!
                              Ahah, fantastic reply to a post that didn't come out quite right (i wasn't lambasting you for lazy, specifically. It was just incidentally the sixth post i read in succession which contained questions the manual answers, and i'd have to go read right there, to rewrite here...).
                              Yes, the trick is quite amazing, and a little known feature of chrome.
                              TR -space- "any string in any language", is already quite the powerful addition, for me.
                              And of course MAX for the max SCRIPT help (the beauty of them being specific), YP for the boring times, and so on...
                              Oh, i wrote that, did i not? ^^
                              Lele
                              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

• Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                                Ahah, fantastic reply to a post that didn't come out quite right (i wasn't lambasting you for lazy, specifically. It was just incidentally the sixth post i read in succession which contained questions the manual answers, and i'd have to go read right there, to rewrite here...).
                                Yes, the trick is quite amazing, and a little known feature of chrome.
                                TR -space- "any string in any language", is already quite the powerful addition, for me.
                                And of course MAX for the max SCRIPT help (the beauty of them being specific), YP for the boring times, and so on...
                                Oh, i wrote that, did i not? ^^
                                LOL! Yes TR I added it too. And H15 for Houdini help! YP I would stop working if I add that one!

Little Antman

Comment

Working...
                                X