Irrdiance baking on a renderfarm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irrdiance baking on a renderfarm.

Anyone know a working method to have Irrdiance baking across multiple machines for the same file? When I have all machines on a farm add to the same map, it doesn't seem to add correctly. Some camera angles that rendered have missing data missing in the vrmap. I would hate to have to use 1 single machine

For instance, rendering 3 spheres doing a 180 degree camera move from frames 1-36. Frames 1 and 30 are great, but I am missing points for frame 15.

Also, why the 24 core limit? Would be nice to burn through more in distributed mode if I am forced to 1 machine.

Also, I notice Irrdiance baking ignores primary visibility objects for cache, but Light cache doesn't ignore primary visibility.

Thanks!

-Scott

Ok.. I think I have the workflow down, but I might be wrong..

Part A:

Set Lightcache to single frame.

Give Lightcache a name with autosave on.

Render GI only.

Set lightcache to flythrough.

Render frame and it computes lightcache for the entire camera move.

Set lightcache to read from file and we are good.

Irradiance mode:

Set to Single frame, give a file name and turn autosave on.

Render single frame locally.

Change from single frame to incremental add to map.

Submit to farm by frame of 10.

Open scene and change irradiance to read from file.

turn off render gi only.

Set renders off and have a beautiful noise free image that renders in just a few minutes.

Comment

Is it normal to have a prepass of 4 at single frame, and then a prepass of 1 for incremental add to map for irradiance?

Thanks!

-Scott

Comment

Anyone know a working method to have Irrdiance baking across multiple machines for the same file? When I have all machines on a farm add to the same map, it doesn't seem to add correctly. Some camera angles that rendered have missing data missing in the vrmap. I would hate to have to use 1 single machine
        Unfortunately unlike most Irrdaicne modes the Incremental add to current map can not be Distributed and it can be only calculated on one machine.

Also, why the 24 core limit?
        What do you mean? Could you give us some more info. Generally you should be able to use all available cores.

I notice Irrdiance baking ignores primary visibility objects for cache, but Light cache doesn't ignore primary visibility.
        I will forward the issue to the developers.

Ok.. I think I have the workflow down, but I might be wrong..
        I am not sure I understand your workflow, why do you set the Irr/LC in single frame mode?

Is it normal to have a prepass of 4 at single frame, and then a prepass of 1 for incremental add to map for irradiance?
        Irradiance map will be calculated in 1 pass if you disable Multipass option (http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya...p.htm#advanced) or if you use distributed rendering.
        Best regards,
        Zdravko Keremidchiev
        Technical Support Representative

Comment

Originally posted by Zdravko View Post
          Unfortunately unlike most Irrdaicne modes the Incremental add to current map can not be Distributed and it can be only calculated on one machine.
          This is not true. The incremental modes work fine with DR. (It did not work originally, but it was implemented a while back).

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Metzger View Post
            Yes, this is normal. The multipass option is automatically switched off for DR.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X