Maya FLUIDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya FLUIDS

I try to test fluids in V-Ray 2.30.01 in Maya 2013 SP2 and V-Ray output looks like flat lighting.
    Is there something what i am doing wrong, or special setup needed ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	AfternoonClouds.png
Views:	1
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	876871

It's a simple scene: Visor > Fluid Examples > CloudsAndFog > AfternoonClouds.ma

Make sure you have real lights on the scene with turned on shadows. The fake lighting inside the "Lighting" rollout is not supported.
    V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

There are no lights in the example scene. Also, you might need to add the V-Ray fluid shading attribues and increase the diffuse multipler to get a closer look to the Maya software renderer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maya_fluids.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	846270

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

looks nice btw vlado.
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Hehe, it's not too bad; renders a lot faster through Phoenix FD though.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Hi,

Just curious if it is still in the plan to replace the envrionmentfog shader with Phoenix FD's shader so one can render Maya Fluids faster? I did some comparisons recently where rendering Fluids in Vray is noticeably slower than mental ray or renderman (not have Phoenix FD for Maya installed).
            always curious...

Comment

For the moment you need to have Phoenix FD installed for this to happen. Then you can choose if Maya fluids should be rendered with the environment fog or with the Phoenix shader. You don't need a Phoenix license for the rendering (it is only needed for simulating with Phoenix).

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                For the moment you need to have Phoenix FD installed for this to happen. Then you can choose if Maya fluids should be rendered with the environment fog or with the Phoenix shader. You don't need a Phoenix license for the rendering (it is only needed for simulating with Phoenix).

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Hi Vlado,

any plan to implement the code from Phoenix in Vray, so that we can use render the maya fluid without the need to install phoenix?
                Thanks,
                Yannick
                Portfolio: http://www.cgifocus.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  How do you choose which shader to use?

Comment

If you add the V-Ray specific attributes to the fluid shape, you will be able to choose which shader to use.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

I'm looking at the Vray specific attributes for the fluid shape the only thing I can see that that might change the shader is "Use light cache ( pheonix FD )" check box. Is that what you are talking about? It doesn't seem to speed up renders at all with this checkbox on.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Which V-Ray version is this?

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

I am wondering about the same thing. Running vray 2.30.01 on Maya 2013 SP2. Not even see the "(Phoenix FD)" after the light cache option. Is it only for the latest nightly? (have the Phoenix FD demo installed)
                          always curious...

Comment

I think in this version, the Phoenix FD shader is picked automatically if it can be found. In the nightlies you can manually choose the shader. We are constantly trying to improve the fluid rendering and there are a lot of changes in the nightlies.
                            V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Originally posted by R_Cyph View Post
                              I'm looking at the Vray specific attributes for the fluid shape the only thing I can see that that might change the shader is "Use light cache ( pheonix FD )" check box. Is that what you are talking about? It doesn't seem to speed up renders at all with this checkbox on.
                              Hm, if you export a .vrscene and look at it - do you see VRayEnvironmentFog being used, or the Phoenix shader?

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X