Denoiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denoiser

Hi, it seems to be an hot topic recently, I wonder if you are considering integrating some kind of denoise algorhythm on the final rendered image. The most recent renderman version comes with it, I personally used it in a couple of occasions (in nuke) and is quite an efficient method, but I wonder if having it integrated in vray would make the process of rendering noise free much easier.

We won't be developing our own denoiser as it is a complex topic and we have zero experience with it. It's also riddled with patents already. But it may be possible that we partner with someone else to bundle a denoiser. We'll see...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      We won't be developing our own denoiser as it is a complex topic and we have zero experience with it. It's also riddled with patents already. But it may be possible that we partner with someone else to bundle a denoiser. We'll see...

Best regards,
      Vlado
      This would be an amazing addition to vray if not the best,
      The denoiser in Pixar Renderman 20 is one of the best advances in rendering to date, I have tested it myself and I must say that it does what it says on the tin, reduces render times by 2 - 10 times.

So what I suggest is to buy out Pixar ( Might involve buying out Disney) and then take their denoiser algorithm and then resell them again.

I expect to see The Denoiser feature in the next nightlies.

Thanks.

Comment

buy out pixar or disney good one.
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

yep!! denoiser tech from pixar on renderman its WOOOW!

Comment

ha.. i was all ready to write a snobby post about how denoising always causes more problems than it solves, and keep it away from the renderer. then i looked up the renderman denoiser.

holy crap thats impressive.

impressive enough that im guessing every renderer will have a similar system soon, with the attendant speedups.

heres hoping vray is one of the first!

Comment

So what would you say about these? They are V-Ray renders processed by a denoiser called Altus developed by a company called InnoBright that we've been in touch with.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Attached Files

Comment

And a couple of more.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Attached Files

Comment

These are a couple of tests that I thought would trip the denoiser up because of the very fine details, but actually it did a very good job.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Attached Files

Comment

These are a couple of tests that I thought would trip the denoiser up because of the very fine details, but actually it did a very good job.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    Vlado, Yes, Yes a thousand times yes.

This looks absolutely fantastic, you and your team are always on the ball it's just amazing.

I will be keeping my eye on InnoBright.

Comment

yep that looks "acceptable"

how does their system handle animation? i notice the pixar one uses temporal interpolation to allow it to work well with animation.

editk i checked their website. tempral filtering is supported. plus you lucky maya guys can download the beta version for free!!

i notice in their video test the temporal filter isnt as impressive as the spatial..some low frequency noise visible. but maybe it just needs a few more samples. worth checking that side thoroughly.

i will have all my fingers crossed that whatever discussions you are having would involve 3dsmax too.
                      Last edited by super gnu; 19-10-2015, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
                        how does their system handle animation? i notice the pixar one uses temporal interpolation to allow it to work well with animation.
                        As far as I know, Altus has the ability to denoise across frames (at least that's what they said in their Siggraph talk). There's some old video on their website that doesn't look too bad, I hope to see some more meaningful tests soon.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

I feel a strong breeze will be blowing on those hair soon...
                          Stills look a LOT better than the last batch, artifacts all but gone: quite the clever job indeed.
                          I'm very curious as to the temporal stability on such fine detail...
                          Lele
                          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                          ----------------------
                          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

These do look very impressive, we see a very good SNR on all of them - there is virtually no damage to the structural details. It would be interesting to see a comparison between the denoised render and a reference high quality render.

Do they only take the RGB image as input?
                            Last edited by RotemS; 19-10-2015, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Looks quite promising!
                              Hopefully it works out

Comment

Working...
                              X