No announcement yet.

how to get rid of specular highlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get rid of specular highlights?

Hi guys, I need some help please.

I have this floor with bad specular highlights. In Modo I can lower the specular effect of the light source to 10% or so and it will look right. This technique does not work in vray. How can I get rid of it?

I made a group of the lights and added an item shader to it, removed "visible to reflections rays" but still it reflects.
    I used point lights with a radius of 25mm for the light sources.Click image for larger version

Name:	spec.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	883155

If you are using a V-Ray material, just uncheck "Lock hilight glossiness" and increase the "Hilight glossiness" until you are happy with the size of the specular hilights.

Or you can go to the "V-Ray Light" tab for the light and unckeck "Affect Specular".

Something that will work in both V-Ray and MODO, is to select the light material for the light and decrease its "affect specular" value.

Edit: I didn't read your post carefully, sorry. It seems you were trying the "affect specular" option of the light material like I suggested. This option doesn't work in RT GPU at the moment, at least for point lights.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 08-12-2015, 07:01 AM.
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
      If you are using a V-Ray material, just uncheck "Lock hilight glossiness" and increase the "Hilight glossiness" until you are happy with the size of the specular hilights.

Or you can go to the "V-Ray Light" tab for the light and unckeck "Affect Specular".

Something that will work in both V-Ray and MODO, is to select the light material for the light and decrease the "affect specular" value.

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      Thanks Vladimir

The first 2 options work (I have started to use vray materials on everything...it just seems to work a little easier.

As for the option to decrease the "affect specular", it does not always work. I tried this first. Sometimes it looks as if the value is completely ignored, sometimes not.

Comment

Are you using RT GPU ?

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

RT CPU. now I am not sure anymore....I did a lot of prelims with RT and some renders. maybe that is where the difference came in. I will need to test again to be sure

Comment

Working...
          X