V-Ray 5 keeps crashing Rhino 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray 5 keeps crashing Rhino 6

Since I've upgraded V-Ray Next for Rhino to V-Ray 5 I am having persistent crashing issues with Rhino. I spent a considerable amount of time with the people from McNeel trying to resolve this issue. Every time I open an existing file it crashes Rhino 6. If I open it a second time it seems to sometimes work and opens it. The people from McNeel asked me to disable V-Ray as a plug-in to see if the issue persisted and it didn't meaning that it is most likely V-Ray 5 that is causing the issue. The file also opened a considerable amount of time faster than when V-Ray is enabled. Is anybody else having these issues? Does anyone from ChaosGroup have any suggestions as to what may be causing this? I can go through the whole "please send us the file and error message" procedure if you'd like but it is essentially every file I am working with that does this since upgrading to V-Ray 5.
    Last edited by PixelPerson81; 16-12-2020, 03:29 PM.

Hi PixelPerson81

Sorry to hear you're experiencing such issues. Can you make sure to download the latest V-Ray 5 for Rhino hotfix from here and confirm if the issue persists?
    Moreover, please do share more information regarding your OS version, CPU, GPU/driver versions as well.

Best would be to forward us the crash dump and log files so we can have a look and investigate what may be causing this:
    • You can find them in the following locations: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Chaos Group\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\vrayneui

You can forward them through our online Contact Form - just make sure to mention this thread in the email. Thanks!
    Last edited by nikoleta.garkova; 21-12-2020, 08:55 AM.
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Hi,

I have similar issue with Rhino 7 every time I try to render, rendering window pops out but when I click back on rhino it crashes. It happens 100% of time. I've installed newest Rhino 7 version and hotfix You've mentioned.

Comment

Hi alicja_tomaszewska

Can you please answer the same questions as listed in my post above and forward us the crash and log files so we can have a look? Much appreciated!

Comment

nikoleta.garkova I've already sent an email to support@chaosgroup.com with packed project, I'll send others as well

Comment

I'm not able to find any log/dmp files in locations You've provided

Comment

I'm not either. What I do see is a file titled "telmetry.json.". Is that what I am supposed to send? I noticed Nikoleta that in the address you sent as an example it references Sketchup. I followed what you sent me thinking that it would be the same path for Rhino but I don't think the log/dmp file is there.
              Last edited by PixelPerson81; 18-12-2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

It is not,

I tried many things, update windows and graphic drivers, restarted machine many times, reinstall vray and rhino, all with the same result, as long as I run render it crashes, sometimes it renders but when I click on anything rhino crashes. Without vray 5 with native rendering engine all works fine.

Comment

My _SystemInfo result:

Rhino 7 SR1 2020-12-8 (Rhino 7, 7.1.20343.09491, Git hash:master @ 350b20978b4fcd75493212fbd3c4248983612f86)
                  License type: Komercyjna, build 2020-12-08
                  License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
                  VersionMajorMinorServicePack failed

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
                  Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 12-11-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.89
                  > Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
                  - Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

Secondary graphics devices.
                  Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (Intel) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 3-30-2014 (M-D-Y).
                  > Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
                  - There are no monitors attached to this device!

OpenGL Settings
                  Safe mode: Off
                  Use accelerated hardware modes: On
                  Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
                  Mip Map Filtering: Linear
                  Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
                  Render version: 4.6
                  Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
                  Driver Date: 12-11-2020
                  Driver Version: 27.21.14.6089
                  Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
                  Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
                  Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
                  Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
                  C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp "V-Ray for Rhino"

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
                  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp "Commands" 7.1.20343.9491
                  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp "Renderer Development Kit"
                  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp "Rhino Render" 7.1.20343.9491
                  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp "RDK_EtoUI" 7.1.20343.9491
                  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp "Renderer Development Kit UI"
                  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp "Snapshots"
                  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp "RhinoCycles" 7.1.20343.9491
                  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp "Toolbars" 7.1.20343.9491
                  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp "3Dconnexion 3D Mouse"
                  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp "Displacement"

Comment

System Info:

Rhino 6 SR32 2020-12-5 (Rhino 6, 6.32.20340.21001, Git hash:master @ f0da95af49009959d0100568acb11aea288bcea0)
                    License type: Commercial, build 2020-12-05
                    License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Lululemon ()

Windows 10.0.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)
                    Machine name: DESKTOP-DAR92LG

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
                    Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 11GB, Driver date: 12-11-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.89
                    > Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
                    - Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #0
                    - Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
                    Safe mode: Off
                    Use accelerated hardware modes: On
                    Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
                    Mip Map Filtering: Linear
                    Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
                    Render version: 4.6
                    Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
                    Driver Date: 12-11-2020
                    Driver Version: 27.21.14.6089
                    Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
                    Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
                    Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
                    Total Video Memory: 11 GB

Rhino plugins
                    C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp "Commands" 6.32.20340.21001
                    C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp "Renderer Development Kit"
                    C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp "Rhino Render"
                    C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp "RDK_EtoUI" 6.32.20340.21001
                    C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp "Renderer Development Kit UI"
                    C:\Users\Joël Legault\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2018.12.17.906\PanelingTools.rhp "PanelingTools"
                    C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp "Snapshots"
                    C:\Users\Joël Legault\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Yulio for Rhino (893a6721-40f4-45a9-8d9d-96ca37101d3c)\2018.4.3.945\YulioForRhino.rhp "Yulio for Rhino"
                    C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp "RhinoCycles" 6.32.20340.21001
                    C:\Users\Joël Legault\AppData\Local\Programs\Enscape\Bin64\Ensca pe.Rhino6.Plugin.dll "Enscape.Rhino6.Plugin" 0.0.20311.1317
                    C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp "Toolbars" 6.32.20340.21001
                    C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp "3Dconnexion 3D Mouse"
                    C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V6\VRayForRhino.rhp "V-Ray for Rhino"
                    C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp "Displacement"

Comment

Alicja how are you finding Rhino 7? Is it worth the upgrade. I know you can do subdivision modelling with it but overall is it worth it? I do find that Rhino 6 seems to be the buggiest version McNeel has ever released. I was hoping that a lot of this would be resolved with the newer version.

Comment

I don't know how I find Rhino 7 because all my problems started just after I bought and installed it + Vray 5. Previously I was working on Rhino 5.

Comment

Hi guys, apologies - I'll edit my original post to avoid any confusion.
                          Rhino log files can be found at C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Chaos Group\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\vrayneui - should be named vray-neui.<some-number>.log.
                          If you get a crash, Rhino will automatically generate a crash dump file (.dmp) which is usually saved on your desktop.

As mentioned, you can forward the files through our online Contact Form.

Comment

Dear nikoleta.garkova I've sent message to vrayrhino@chaosgroup.com with detailed description of my problem ( I was asked to use this email by my retailer). Now I've forwarded it to support@chaosgroup.com. I really count on fast response and contact as it hurts my business. I can't do my job without vray5 working with rhino 7.

Comment

I sent the log file Nikoleta to the link you told me to. Rhino does crash the first time you try opening a file (I tried it on another computer as well with the same result) but it does not produce the .dmp file. I hope you can help us as the people at McNeel are totally useless.

Comment

Working...
                              X