Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Version very unstable

Hi Guys
    I can not share any of my scenes, but I had to roll back to version 2.2. The new version is very unstable and it is crashing all my scenes.
    I'm rendering fully in GPU and I'm very disappointed with this build. This is the first time that the toolbar is missing. I had to manually enable it. This should not be happening.
    I also have to enable V-Ray as my default rendering engine. Also, the first time I have to do this. Why?
    But the worst is that all my scenes (I use a lot of VRScene objects) are crashing all the time. Very frustrated! I tested this is three different computers and it is crashing and crashing
    I'm using the latest version of Rhino 8

Am I the only one that has issues with this new build? Honestly, I could not use it at all. I rolled back to version 2.2 and have zero issues.

Comment

Hi,

This is the first time that the toolbar is missing. I had to manually enable it. This should not be happening.
      I also have to enable V-Ray as my default rendering engine. Also, the first time I have to do this. Why?​
      The toolbar not appearing is a Rhino 8 behaviour that we can't change as far as I know.
      The fact that you have to select a tenderer is the expected behaviour.
      For me it has always been like that.
      I'll still ask the dev team for details and get back to you.

But the worst is that all my scenes (I use a lot of VRScene objects) are crashing all the time. Very frustrated! I tested this is three different computers and it is crashing and crashing
      I'm using the latest version of Rhino 8​
      Can you share one of the projects that is crashing.
      It would also be helpful if you list the exact steps you take to make it crash.
      It is true that we updated V-Ray Core for this release but there have not been a lot of changes compared to 6.2.2
      If we are able to reproduce the crashes, the reason will be easily identified.

Thank you for reporting this,
      Konstantin

Comment

konstantin_chaos , I've been contemplating again If I should upgrade my v5 licesne to see if V6 is worth it, here is my experience with 6.2.3 and Rhino 8.5 Running Nvidia's 551.86, there is no file, I am running this on an empty rhino scene.

on the bright side it works fine with Rhino 6, so it seems that this issue is exclusive to Rhino 8

Below is the log that is similar to what is mentioned in another thread,

{"name":"vray-neui","hostname":"RC3","pid":27616,"level":30,"sou rce":"V-Ray","msg":"Using 11.03 MB for light cache preview buffer","time":"2024-04-10T08:00:08.256Z","v":0}
        {"name":"vray-neui","hostname":"RC3","pid":27616,"level":50,"sou rce":"NeUI Main","msg":"Error: 14 UNAVAILABLE: read ECONNRESET\n at t.callErrorFromStatus (C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:66:8285\n at Object.onReceiveStatus (C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:22:3095\n at Object.onReceiveStatus (C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:22:36632)\n at C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:120:39292\n at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:78:11)\nfor call at\n at Proxy.makeServerStreamRequest (C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:22:30725)\n at Proxy.<anonymous> (C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:22:25196)\n at a (C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:1:606894)\n at o (C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:1:607089)\n at C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:1:607225\n at new Promise (<anonymous>)\n at C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:1:607196\n at v (C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:1:607374)\n at S (C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:1:607993)\n at Object.t.onceShutdown (C:\\Program Files\\Chaos Group\\V-Ray\\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\\vrayneui\\resources\\app.asar\\main.bu ndle.js:1:608173) {\n code: 14,\n details: 'read ECONNRESET',\n metadata: d { internalRepr: Map(0) {}, options: {} }\n}","time":"2024-04-10T08:00:16.877Z","v":0}
        {"name":"vray-neui","hostname":"RC3","pid":27688,"level":60,"typ e":"UncaughtException","error":{},"msg":"n(...) .ge tCurrentWindow(...).getTitle is not a function","time":"2024-04-10T08:00:16.901Z","v":0}

Comment

Hi tay.0 ​,

The crash you are experiencing might be different compared to the one from the original post.
          Can you please try installing the GPU drivers rerecorded on the V-Ray GPU page ?
          Recommended NVIDIA driver for V-Ray GPU is version 551.86
          The log that you've provided shows only that Rhino has crashed and the Asset Editor (our proprietary UI) lost connection.

Regards,
          Konstantin

Comment

Ah sorry tay.0​, I didn't notice that you driver is actually the recommended one.
            Then can you try with a different driver.
            It is just very strange that the crash is happening even when there is nothing in the scene.
            Neither me nor my colleagues can reproduce this.

Comment

Kotse,
              I'm currently working on a project I need to finish this week. After that, I will upgrade again to the new build and share some parts of the scene.
              Thank you for your response!

Comment

I am having the same issue, but I think that I narrowed it down to the crash being produced when clicking on the Render button in the VRay Asset Editor window. If you click on the Render button in the VFB, there is NO crash. If you look at tay.0 's video, the crash happens after they press on the Render button within the VRay Asset Editor, and when they press the render button in the VFB it renders normally.

Comment

to narrow the issue down, I had to install it on a fresh machine without V-ray installed before, and It runs fine without crashing, makes me suspecting it is either Firewall or something to do with windows handling the issue, another possible cause it leftovers from my Vray 5.2.5 installation. I'll dig deeply tonight to figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by annica_cuppetelli View Post
                    I am having the same issue, but I think that I narrowed it down to the crash being produced when clicking on the Render button in the VRay Asset Editor window. If you click on the Render button in the VFB, there is NO crash. If you look at tay.0 's video, the crash happens after they press on the Render button within the VRay Asset Editor, and when they press the render button in the VFB it renders normally.
                    Thank you for reporting this annica_cuppetelli​.
                    This is a very strange bug but what you've noticed might help.
                    We are continuing the investigation.

By the way is there anything non-standard about your system.
                    Do you have an additional antivirus program or some other software that is not common?
                    Also does this crash begin after installing the latest hotfix and which version did you use before?

Comment

Hi tay.0​,
                      I noticed that your GPU driver from the original video is actually 538.49
                      You should try installing the 551 driver for your GPU and see if this helps.

Comment

konstantin_chaos,

I've been running 551. 86 before the video and I am running it now, while recording the video I was running 539.49 just to make sure it is not a driver issue.

Below are my steps to narrow down the issue.

1- Cloned my system image to another machine, the issue persists, and the crash continued
                        2- Disabled my secondary GPU and tried, the crash continues
                        3- created a new windows user account and tried, the issue persisted,
                        4- reset the network and disabled the firewall the issue persisted,
                        5- installed Rhino 6 and tested, Vray worked fine on Rhino 6
                        6- reset windows to factory image, installed Rhino 8 + Vray 6.2.03, it ran perfectly without crashing.

Now I can conclude there is something wrong with my current windows installation, it is understandable that it is a heavily customized system image that Ran Rhino 5,6,7 and 8 with all of the beta builds, as well as Vray 3.0 , 3.6 , Next , 5 , 6 Beta and now V6.

BTW V 6.2.02 run perfectly fine without any crashing.

Comment

Update: I found the root cause, It is a conflict with the plugin 3dconnexxion Space Mouse.

Below is the Demo.

Comment

Thanks for spending the time to invastigate tay.0 ​!

I was just able to reproduce the crash by doing the following:
                            1. New scene
                            2. Change the engine to CUDA
                            3. Remove the CPU from the list of devices
                            4. Render, Stop, Render, Stop, repeat till it crashes (doesn't have to be quick)​

This should lead to a crash no matter the state of the 3D space mouse plugin.

Comment

Kotse,
                              Are you going to release a hotfix soon? I would love to give it another try to V6.2.3

Comment

Working...
                              X