Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duplicating a material with globalized textures - maintian links within material but not globally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicating a material with globalized textures - maintian links within material but not globally?

How do I duplicate a material - keeping the linked textures within the material linked but removing the link to the textures in the material I've just duplicated? I keep editing duplicated materials only to find out much later that my original material's changed as well!

Oddly it's doing what I want now - is this a bug? should the duplicated material's globalized textures be linked to the original material or not? Or is there a way to do both that I've accidentally triggered without realizing?

Comment

Ok, a bit more digging, and I realize there is a difference between globalized textures and linked instances within a single material. Somehow I must have pasted an instance inside another material which globalizes that texture. Once a texture is globalized is there no easy way un-globalize it!? i.e. remove the globalized link but maintain the intra-material linked instances?

Comment

Hello Paul, if you unwrap the material see you can either see the texture symbol & name, or you can see an arrow in front of it. Arrow = linked independent texture and all changes propagate. Without arrow = all independent.

There's also a bug I've reported earlier that duplicating Blend material keeps it connected to the original, but Chaos haven't managed to reproduce it.
        https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...ll-interlinked

Jonas

Comment

Working...
        X