Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VfR4 / VfR3 SR1

Originally posted by Joe B
    Yep - I'm not sure whats "best". I don't think that our current setup for layer blending is intuitive to all users. The Maxwell setup is basically just layered materials - each layer is its own full shader consisting of all the different layer types (Diffuse, etc..). Thats kind of how V-Ray for Max works - you layer up materials using a Blend material. I'm not sure which way is more physically correct or more easy to work with, or more flexible.

The points you bring up show exactly why we don't want to just jump into this quickly. We would like to spend a lot of time with our users and very carefully plan where to go from here. That isn't going to happen between now and SR1's release, at least not to any level that will add any significant value to our product.

All I can say to kinda wrap this up is - we're a young product. We didn't start off expecting we'd actually make a material editor / texture editor. We took it to a level where it was as functional as possible within our time and resource restraints. Is it perfect? God no. But its just our first iteration of it. We know it needs fixing - but can you honestly say you'd rather me work on aligning text controls over implementing the Sky/Sun and distributed rendering?

I do appreciate your input - and I'm sure you, and other users, will have a hand when we start the design process for iteration 2 of our UI.
    I didn't mean that "alignement" is more important than other features, but creating materials is very important in rendering, and the actual material editor is the only thing that give me "strange" feeling in VfR.

Like many others i've worked for (some) years in VrayforMax without LWF, Physical Sky/ Camera, and other new stuff of Vray 1.5, so for me these features are usefull but not necessary, material creation and fast&easy workflow are more important than these...

If i can, i suggest you to not build a new complex UI or a new material creation concept (i'm not talking about the beginner/advanced interface you have in mind, this is absolutely a great idea! ) You have the big advantage to work on "porting" an already made software, Vray for Max have his solid interface, 100% copy it requires from you less work and users could have only benefits from that (a lots of Vray tutorials aren't working at the moment in Rhino)
    My wish is to see Vray with exactly the same UI for all plugins Rhino,Sketchup,Maya,C4d,XSI etc., but i know this is hard to do in some cases.

The optimized version of Material Editor i posted, go in this way, with some minor changes you can simulate better the VfMax UI, i don't want to criticize your work or your choices, you're doing a really good job, i only want to give you my opinion about some difficulty i have using VfR instead of VfMax.

Anyway we'll talk about that in the right moment!

Thanks for the time you spent with me.

Comment

My wish is to see Vray with exactly the same UI for all plugins Rhino,Sketchup,Maya,C4d,XSI etc., but i know this is hard to do in some cases.
      Remember that we do copy the options set up, and also that VrayforMax uses Max's native material editor (and maya's uses the native one too I believe). So basically we were kind of out on our own once we got to Rhino. When we do overhaul the Material editor it will be much better, and have a much more logical layout. I think we will take a few pointers from Max's UI or the Brazil/RDK one, but ultimately its going to come down to organizing it in a way our users will understand and also makes sense for VfR. Once we start taking this on 110% I think it would be a good idea to be able to show it to the users and have them comment on what they like/don't like about it, and what works/doesn't work for them. After all if the users don't think that the new UI (whatever it becomes) is no good than it doesn't really solve the problem.
      Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Originally posted by dalomar
        I used this technic in a current project now and want to say: thank you for the nice feature ASGvis team. Works very well, it makes fun to render closed rooms.

Small wish: maybe it's possible to implement a "hide backside" option to the material options, so that the user must not create a two sided material and two materials first and can use a single standard material.
        www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Originally posted by Micha
          Small wish: maybe it's possible to implement a "hide backside" option to the material options, so that the user must not create a two sided material and two materials first and can use a single standard material.
          Anything to save two clicks
          Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Working...
          X