Render elements: Extra Texture-Dirt vs AO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render elements: Extra Texture-Dirt vs AO

What is the difference between rendering the render element Extra Texture with a dirt map and rendering the Ambient Occusion element? Can both add something different when placed as a layer in post production?

As i know, AO increases the render time, and you have more control with ps, you can use different opasity on different spots for example..

Comment

Thanks kenancakir​, 1. I don't care about render time, only quality is at my focus. 2nd my question is what is the difference in use of both

Comment

Quality is the same, PS has more control on using it, that is it.. Of course, vray now has vfb postproduction options, but in PS you can adjust the strenght of dirt locally, some areas strong some areas not..
        Last edited by kenancakir; 08-10-2022, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Hi richard_vankesteren​,

What is the difference between rendering the render element Extra Texture with a dirt map and rendering the Ambient Occusion element? Can both add something different when placed as a layer in post production?
          There is no real difference between this two approaches.
          The Extra Texture gives you greater control. You can for example choose the colors for the occluded and unconcluded parts...

Another thing to consider is the background.
          The ExtraTex element will render the background black...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	RE_ExtraTex.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1165487

...while the AO element will treat it as something unoccluded
          Click image for larger version

Name:	RE_AO.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1165488

Konstantin